i5-2500k; asrock z77 pro3; deepcool gammaxx 300 oc

Nov 28, 2018
Hello, totaly new to oc. Parts in title will be set up in a day or two, paired with a gtx 750 ti. My concerns are possible bottleneck(?), Totally safe oc with acceptable temps. I mostly play csgo, sometimes other games as well, but sometimes i run an android emulator with a live stream + other tasks all at the same time while my current setup is i5-2400; stock intel fan; asrock h61m-vg4 with 90 degrees celsius (ik, not cool)... So this will be a little upgrade i guess. Any additional info i can provide? Also depending on how much noise the cooler will make ill have to maybe adjust the oc. (Btw - any use if get a cheapish fan in my case for extra cooling?) Thank You in advance and sorry for my messy threat.

Solution
Are you considering buying an i5-2500K and Z77 mobo? I wouldn't recommend purchasing such old equipment for this purpose.

There's tons of OC guides for Sandy Bridge across the internet, Google "i5-2500K stock voltage overclock" for a safe 24/7 OC. You'll simply be adjusting the CPU multiplier at first and the mobo should do what it feels it needs with voltage to keep everything stable. Then you can remove auto voltage settings by setting a VCore offset (very small negative value keeps voltage at stock).

Once you get the hang of stock voltage OCing, you can look into how far/high you want to push frequencies with additional voltage. Adding more voltage increases power/heat though, so everyone has their own balance point.

I test OC...
Are you considering buying an i5-2500K and Z77 mobo? I wouldn't recommend purchasing such old equipment for this purpose.

There's tons of OC guides for Sandy Bridge across the internet, Google "i5-2500K stock voltage overclock" for a safe 24/7 OC. You'll simply be adjusting the CPU multiplier at first and the mobo should do what it feels it needs with voltage to keep everything stable. Then you can remove auto voltage settings by setting a VCore offset (very small negative value keeps voltage at stock).

Once you get the hang of stock voltage OCing, you can look into how far/high you want to push frequencies with additional voltage. Adding more voltage increases power/heat though, so everyone has their own balance point.

I test OC stability with Prime95. Others use Intel Burn Test, etc etc. IMO, they're all functionally equivalent.

Solution
Nov 28, 2018

i know i know it's old, i just randomly saw a a guy selling the cpu, so i called him and he said he also has the mentioned mobo. i decided to take those, cuz he was not that far, and not that expensive (imo) i had the cooler ordered for my i5-2400 on a asrock H61M-VG4, (cuz stock intel cooler was pretty loud and the temps were also high). He said he OCed that cpu up to 4.2 ghz without changing any voltages. he had a better cooler so im thinking of going up to 4.0? i'll decide once i see the temps.

Nov 28, 2018

indeed the profile is still there(i changed the speed to 3.2 tho). also - i read in other threat that before oc a clean OS installation is good. im still on w7 and and it went through 3 mobos cpus and gpus. i also heard that windows 10 is finally legit good so thinking of reinstalling w10 and putting it on an ssd that i got today.

PS so i put in the mobo and cpu today, my power supply went in flames hot (literally) good news - mobo and cpu didnt die, bought new power supply. Fun day tbh.

changed the speed to 3.2 tho
You...underclocked the CPU? Maybe that was a typo?

before oc a clean OS installation is good
The OS doesn't really have any effect on an OC per-se. You may need to sysprep an existing OS so you don't have driver issues with the new mobo though. I'd take this as an opportunity to do a fresh OS install though. And yes, Win10 is perfectly fine, it's better than Win7

Nov 28, 2018

not typo, actually underclocked (by accident, for soem reason i thoguht the default is 3.2). did a fresh windows 10 install on my new ssd. everything is more or less without errors and problems >.<
Now i have shimmering on my screen tho. Ill have to do some tests with other cables and old monitor to find the source. Also the slot that the gpu is in, doesn't have that little thingy that does the *click* sound and sticks the gpu to the slot, I tried taking off 1 from my old mobo, but while i was trying to put it on on the new 1 it broke, oh well. The new mobo has a 2nd slot for gpu and that 1 has the attaching thingy, but then i'd have to remove my tower's back "wall" to use that gpu slot.... new problems every day :D

UPDATE: my case is opened, i moved my gpu a bit (pushed it gently into the mobo slot) moved the cable a bit, shimmering gone (barely noticable). Found the problem i guess.