Question i5 2500k cooling issue

Apr 10, 2019
Hey folks, just had some concerns I'd like insight on with my rig.

Set up is as follows :

i5 2500k (default clock settings)

EVGA 1050ti SC 4gb

600w psu

coolermaster cpu cooler (not sure what model to be exact as this was a second hand purchase, definitely not a 212 evo)

p67 extreme4 gen3 mobo

16gb ripjaws 1333mhz ram

crucial 120gb ssd

3 case fans including exhaust fan

The reason I purchased it second hand was because I got the entire rig for $300, I do plan on upgrading eventually as its only been 3 months since I've owned this rig. The first thing I noticed when I booted up and ran stress tests on prime95 was that the temps average 37c idle and 72c - 77c on max load. The first thing I did was take the CPU cooler off and clean the old thermal paste off and reapplied fresh paste. This knocked down to 74c max load. I've looked at my fan placement and ventilation and it looks fine, the exhaust fan is pointing out correctly and two fans to the front of the case are pushing more air towards the exhaust fan. I've also taken the tempered glass side panel off and ran stress tests to see if there's a difference in temp. No change. I am considering liquid cooling to see if it helps, I do want to overclock, but my temps on a locked ratio of 3.7ghz rises temps to 84-86c. Any thoughts? Appreciate any feedback!

You do understand what a STRESS TEST is?
Everything running 100% which is unusual in any normal desktop computer.
The cooler is obviously not exhausting the heat quick enough when it's OC'd to 3.7. You need a better cooler.
My 2600k with Kraken Cooler @ 4.4 has no problems.