i5-2500k overclock temps extremely high with EVO 212.

aleichliter

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
To ensure that I wasn't bottlenecking my new 1070, I decided to overclock my 2500k. At 4.5 GHz, my idle temperature sits around 40c and after just a few minutes in a Prime95 test, my temps almost hit 100c. I used an overclocking guide for the 2500k and followed it to a T. I should not be getting temps this high with an EVO 212, so I'm wondering what has gone wrong. It's also worth mentioning that the system hasn't seen much modification since I built it in 2012 or so. I did reapply thermal paste earlier today, and it made almost no difference. I should also mention that HWMonitor reports a range of 1-1.45 V on my CPU, even though I manually set it to 1.35 V.

Here's the guide I used: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMZoWOpry40
Here's the HWMonitor readouts:
uWbIZl8.png

aleichliter

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012

I'm sure an upgrade to my cooler could help, but 100c under full load with an EVO 212 is still absurd. I did reapply thermal paste this morning.

aleichliter

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012

Sadly I don't have another fan at the moment. I looked around a lot online and found tons of people who had the same exact setup at 4.5 GHz with max temps of 60-70c.

aleichliter

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
I may have applied the thermal paste incorrectly. I watched a guide that told me to spread the paste across the surface, but many people are recommending that you don't spread the paste after putting a blob in the middle. I'm going to try the alternative method and I'll report back.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Which P95 version? Some of the newer tests are pretty brutal. Have you tried gaming at those settings?

If you have some LLC settings, or other stability features on, that can raise the voltage above a manual setting. Sounds more like you need to scale back the voltage.

That could work and usally a pea sized amount is about right. Also try a bit less voltage if you can get it stable is always best. Voltage increase is a major factor in heat Maybe 1.3 or 1.325. All chips arent the same and your may require a bit of tweaking to get things right.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
aleichliter,

Your Vcore is too high. Maximum recommended Vcore for 32 nanometer processors is 1.35. Voltage drives Power (Watts) which drives temperatures, and Hardware Monitor isn't always accurate. Use Core Temp to monitor your Vcore and Watts, and of course your Core temperatures.

Also, do NOT run any versions of Prime95 later than 26.6. Here's why:

Core i 2nd through 6th Generation CPU's have AVX (Advanced Vector Extension) instruction sets. Recent versions of Prime95, such as 28.9, run AVX code on the Floating Point Unit (FPU) math coprocessor, which produces unrealistically high temperatures. The FPU test in the utility AIDA64 shows similar results.

Since 2nd Generation Sandy Bridge processors have a soldered Integrated Heat Spreader and a significantly larger Die than 3rd through 6th Generation processors, they are somewhat less affected by AVX code.

Nevertheless, please download Prime95 version 26.6 - http://windows-downloads-center.blogspot.com/2011/04/prime95-266.html

Run only Small FFT’s for 10 minutes.

Use Core Temp to measure your temperatures - http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp

Your Core temperatures may test 10C lower with v26.6 than with v28.9.

You should read this Sticky: Intel Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

CT :sol:

aleichliter

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Thanks for the advice guys. How do you prevent the CPU voltage from changing automatically? I have it set to manual, but it keeps fluctuating. I also tried to reapply the thermal paste and nothing changed. I'll mess around with my voltage a bit to see if I can fix it.

aleichliter

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012

Do either of these include the setting to disable automatic voltage setting?
teMrzmb.jpg

5D4B0nd.jpg

I have it set to 1.35 by the way.

aleichliter

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012

The only other option for that setting was manual, what should it be set to?
yS2Wb6S.jpg

I would also like to add that with default settings, it was set to 3.7 GHz and the idle temps were around 25-30C. But in this instance, the turbo ratio was static at 37 and the voltage was about 1.00 or so. This is strange because with the overclocked settings the ratio dropped to 16x and had a similar voltage, but the idle temps were around 40 or higher.

aleichliter

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012

No dice, I'm afraid. I set it to manual and left the new option at 300, no change in voltage.

That's the problem.

Overclocking isn't an exact science and you can't rely on someone else's figures, even if your hardware is identical. You need to go back to the drawing board and understand what the various options are and what impact they have on your PC.

Start with this; http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/272214-29-wolfram-beginner-guide-overclocking.

Solution