[SOLVED] i5 2500k overclocking on a ASROCK Z68 pro3 board , settings?

malibu200786

Commendable
May 2, 2018
Hi just bought a second hand Z68 pro3 with a i5 2500k , just to try out this overclocking never done it before .
Looked at YouTube videos with same CPU and mobo , combo .
I just wanted start off really low so put in 38x to get 3.8ghz
The YouTube video said anything 4.0ghz or under , then there's no need change any other settings.
But its much slower than my last CPU , so should I just take it to 4.4ghz like on the video and change everything he does ?

My last CPU was i5 2320 and a intel board . But it was faster than this .

Solution
well, you will need DDR4 memory in addition if you get the much newer and 20% faster Ryzen 3 CPU.

If your power supply isn´t supporting low power states, this setting in BIOS of the new motherboard has to be disabled
Do you mean the 2500K is slower than the 2320?
the 2500k usually has a core frequency of 3,3GHz and Turbo at max. 3,7GHz
the 2320 3GHz core and turbo 3,3GHz

Overclocking is a step by step thing. If you enter random numbers of other people, with better power supplies and CPU cooler, it could get your CPU running unstable.

malibu200786

Commendable
May 2, 2018
Do you mean the 2500K is slower than the 2320?
the 2500k usually has a core frequency of 3,3GHz and Turbo at max. 3,7GHz
the 2320 3GHz core and turbo 3,3GHz

Overclocking is a step by step thing. If you enter random numbers of other people, with better power supplies and CPU cooler, it could get your CPU running unstable.

Yes I mean the i5 2500k which is now in , is running slower than my previous i5 2320.
Before I attempted to overclock it was slow and still is now .

Ive done a little research before attempting and I know every CPU will overclock different , so I know it needs notching up bit by bit .
That's why I started with 38x but I left all the other settings in the bios .
Is there a setting list for everything in bios with what GHz u want to go to ?

My system is i5 2500k
Z68 pro 3
8gb ram 1300mhz
Stock PSU
Arctic freezer 7 pro.2.

Could there be a issue with the ram or HDD not set correct for this mobo causing it run slower ?

without overclocking the 2500k has to be a bit better or at least equal performance than the 2320.

to have a look what the problem could be:
run userbenchmark.com and post the http link of your result, e.g. https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/28977730

If it´s slower, then something is not set correctly.
check temperature of the CPU with coretemp
check the RAM, 1300MHz seems to be not correct

Update the BIOS, reset the BIOS, reset windows 10
uninstall all 4 processors in windows device manager and restart windows

malibu200786

Commendable
May 2, 2018
without overclocking the 2500k has to be a bit better or at least equal performance than the 2320.

to have a look what the problem could be:
run userbenchmark.com and post the http link of your result, e.g. https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/28977730

If it´s slower, then something is not set correctly.
check temperature of the CPU with coretemp
check the RAM, 1300MHz seems to be not correct

Update the BIOS, reset the BIOS, reset windows 10
uninstall all 4 processors in windows device manager and restart windows

hello this is the benchmark you asked for?
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31131445

malibu200786

Commendable
May 2, 2018
hello this is the benchmark you asked for?
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31131445
update the BIOS to the latest beta version https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z68 Pro3/index.asp#BIOS

use ddu uninstaller to remove all nvidia driver parts and reinstall the latest nvidia.com driver

So I deleted the old Nvidia game ready driver and installed the newest Nvidia game ready driver from their website , and now the computer fully freezes after playing GTA 5 for a while . .
Where it wasn't doing before , is there a folder in the Nvidia files where I can find the old installation package which was installed , because they dont list that far back on the website?

Also I taken the overclock down to 4.0ghz which fixed 1.250v ( although these don't seem to work ) could this be causing the crashes?

I didn't update the bios tho because I read it can break the motherboard

CompuTronix

Intel Master
malibu200786,

There's been no mention of Core temperatures or ambient (room) temperature.

We need to know these temperatures, as thermal throttling is often the cause for poor performance.

Throttle temperature for the i5-2500K is 98°C. Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended. Core temperatures below 80°C are ideal.

CT :sol:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Don't use that it's total garbage!

The Pro 3 board is very poor for overclocking it's more of a low budget board.

Reset your BIOS and start again.

Download OCCT and run it looking at the temps and report back before you overclock anything! Just download it click run let it run about 5 minutes and report back with your temperature of the CPU.

A i5 2500K is so easy to overclock it's almost just easy mode unless you have bought a almost burnt out CPU or board. Still have a PC in my house with one that's been running like 5.0 since it was first released but with proper cooling and had to up the voltage one time.

EDIT just looked up your cooler not really something I would use to overclock with.

Last edited:

malibu200786

Commendable
May 2, 2018

The Pro 3 board is very poor for overclocking it's more of a low budget board.

Reset your BIOS and start again.

Download OCCT and run it looking at the temps and report back before you overclock anything! Just download it click run let it run about 5 minutes and report back with your temperature of the CPU.

A i5 2500K is so easy to overclock it's almost just easy mode unless you have bought a almost burnt out CPU or board. Still have a PC in my house with one that's been running like 5.0 since it was first released but with proper cooling and had to up the voltage one time.

EDIT just looked up your cooler not really something I would use to overclock with.

Yea like you said I think my CPU is now dead .
I tried 4.4 GHz using same settings as someone else and was getting really hot , so I dropped it to 4.0ghz and it was fine ,
I then updated my Nvidia game ready drivers .
Then it crashed twice while my son was playing GTA 5 then the 3rd it went off and now boots up but nothing on the screen.
The fans come on and it stays powered on but keyboard doesn't light up and the usb WiFi dongle doesn't light up .
I tried CMOS jumper and battery , but still nothing on screen .
How can I find out what is broke on it if it's the motherboard itself or the CPU ?
Also the cooler had pre applied paste on which I used .

your previous nvidia driver version was:

remove the GPU and use the motherboard´s graphics ports

Maybe your power supply gave up on you

It´s a quite informative easy to use tool, if you don´t look at the "performing as/below ..." benchmark garbage things ;)
I use it to get quick informations about BIOS date, hardware configuration, graphics driver, core frequency, used RAM model and frequency, HDD/SSD speed

Reactions: boju

malibu200786

Commendable
May 2, 2018
your previous nvidia driver version was:

remove the GPU and use the motherboard´s graphics ports

Maybe your power supply gave up on you

It´s a quite informative easy to use tool, if you don´t look at the "performing as/below ..." benchmark garbage things ;)
I use it to get quick informations about BIOS date, hardware configuration, graphics driver, core frequency, used RAM model and frequency, HDD/SSD speed

Did he not mean my ASROCK motherboard is garbage ?
I gave up on it now I couldn't get it to come back , so my old intel board and i5 2320 is back in for now .
Thinking of getting a AMD 3 3100 with motherboard and cooler for £170 from scan .
Are these better CPU?