i5 2500K too hot on stock cooler

reubenno

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2012
Hello,
My brother just purchased a pre-owned gaming PC with an i5 2500k inside.
When we brought it back I ran the basic tests to make sure everything was running smoothly, however I noticed that the CPU was getting very hot.

Under 3D Mark CPU test it was hitting 88 degrees and I had to stop Prime95 for fear of overheating and damaging the CPU.

Is this normal for the stock cooler? I've only personally used the Hyper 212 EVO on my 3570K. Would a reapplication of thermal paste help or should he just get a Hyper 212 (or equivalent)?

Thanks.

EDIT: The CPU is running at stock and does not go past 1.21v when under stress.

Solution
Yeah I'd say get a better CPU cooler and a better power supply if possible it's his best bet, It will truly increase the system's performance by a decent amount.

Kavinqt

Distinguished
They probably used some very crappy thermal paste on the CPU, I'd recommend putting on your own thermal paste something good like http://a.co/5XTLlEL These prebuilt pc's come with no love when they are built they just build it in 20mins and send it on its way. If this still doesn't help upgrade the CPU cooler to something decent like a 212 evo or something Cryorig.

Kavinqt

Distinguished

It's decent enough to keep it below 70c with no overclock. I've never really seen those coolers do bad unless running on an overclocked system there is a good reason intel includes these coolers it's because they work well for the clock speed and voltages set.

But the Original poster didn't tell us if its overclocked or not.

reubenno

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2012

Okay thanks, I think this one was a custom build that somebody wanted to sell on. The PSU isnt the best either (Corsair VS450), but for £350 and i5, 16GB of ram and a 960 isnt too shabby.

I'll try replacing the thermal paste, my best guess is that it has dried up over time, but right now he cant use the PC for even basic tasks as the temps spike.

Thanks again for the help.

reubenno

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2012

My apologies for the lack of clarification. The CPU is not overclocked, the highest I saw the voltages reach was 1.21v when under stress.

Kavinqt

Distinguished
Could we get a full list of specs? that PSU seems crap the VS series is known to be kinda bad.. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to replace it if your brother or you knows how to replace a power supply and re-cable everything up

reubenno

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2012

Yeah sure:
i5 2500K (stock)
Asus motherboard (I don't have the PC to hand as its in his room so cant check the model right now)
16GB Hyper X Fury DDR3 ram
Corsair VS450 PSU
240GB Kingston V300 SSD (I'm aware of the issues they have)
3TB Toshiba HDD

I'm a fairly experienced PC builder having built my own rig and some others for friends and I can easily recable the PC if need be.

Thanks for the help.

reubenno

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2012

Thanks for the advice. The PSU we have however is already close to its limit and I wouldn't feel comfortable OC'ing the CPU yet, but if I manage to persuade my brother to upgrade the power supply I'll overclock it a little :)

reubenno

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2012

I'll do my best to persuade him, he's not got too much money but I'll make the hard sell :p

Kavinqt

Distinguished

GL :p it's the best he could do PC performance wise :p

reubenno

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2012

Considering he got an i5, 16GB of ram and a 960 for £350, I think he can afford to get a decent PSU :p

Kavinqt

Distinguished
I'd make sure you tell him how important a quality power supply is, you don't want to have a bad power supply. that thing powers all your pc parts something goes wrong with your Power Supply you could lose everything in your PC.

TRENDING THREADS