Question I5 2500k unsupported cpu installed

Jan 24, 2020
Hi I have recently purchased an I5 2500k upgrading from and I5 2400 and when I have installed the cpu it won't boot and says unsupported cpu installed and the pc will lower off in a few seconds I have a motherboard from a hp pro 3500 and the name of the the motherboard is foxconn 2abf and it has the h61 chipset which is strange because that chipset supports it I have the most recent bios update from there website and I don't know what to do is there a way to get round this and is flashing my bios safe?? I hope you can help me all I want to do is play with my new cpu

I think it's a power limitation of the motherboard since it has support for Ivybridge CPUs.
Hi I have recently purchased an I5 2500k upgrading from and I5 2400 and when I have installed the cpu it won't boot and says unsupported cpu installed and the pc will lower off in a few seconds I have a motherboard from a hp pro 3500 and the name of the the motherboard is foxconn 2abf and it has the h61 chipset which is strange because that chipset supports it I have the most recent bios update from there website and I don't know what to do is there a way to get round this and is flashing my bios safe?? I hope you can help me all I want to do is play with my new cpu
If you update the bios to the latest version, you will be able to use an i5-3470 or i7-3770. Your current bios should support an i5-2500 or i7-2600. You could update the bios anyway and see if the 2500K will work.

Jan 24, 2020
I think it's a power limitation of the motherboard since it has support for Ivybridge CPUs.

If you update the bios to the latest version, you will be able to use an i5-3470 or i7-3770. Your current bios should support an i5-2500 or i7-2600. You could update the bios anyway and see if the 2500K will work.

I have fully updated the bios and everything and it still dosent work I am thinking of selling the 2500k and getting a I5 3470 but is it worth the upgrade from the I5 2400 if so what are the benefits any reply to this would be very helpfull

I have fully updated the bios and everything and it still dosent work I am thinking of selling the 2500k and getting a I5 3470 but is it worth the upgrade from the I5 2400 if so what are the benefits any reply to this would be very helpfull
Where did you get the 2500k because I think it's not working to begin with. I've upgraded Dell i5-2400 systems to 2500k no problem so I don't think HP would be any different as my HPs are just as flexible.

I would sell both your 2500k and 2400 and get the best CPU you can. I think the i7 3770 if it will work is a good idea. Pretty sure I've seen the i7 3770 on eBay for about 60 dollars US. So if you're looking to stay with that platform a little while longer that's probably the way to go.

Reactions: SamirD
Jan 24, 2020
Where did you get the 2500k because I think it's not working to begin with. I've upgraded Dell i5-2400 systems to 2500k no problem so I don't think HP would be any different as my HPs are just as flexible.

I don't think it is the cpu because it was factory sealed and un opened you could tell it was new also what was the name of the dell and anyone who ls reading this do you know if I could flash the motherboard would it let it work if so any Motherboards in mind and ones that you are sure will work because I don't want to brick my board

Jan 24, 2020
Also if you guys would not mind is it possible that you could find me the cheapest motherboard that supports the I5 2500k because I am struggling I'm in the UK btw

I don't think it is the cpu because it was factory sealed and un opened you could tell it was new also what was the name of the dell and anyone who ls reading this do you know if I could flash the motherboard would it let it work if so any Motherboards in mind and ones that you are sure will work because I don't want to brick my board
There's a good chance that is fake because those processors haven't been made for years now. There's a lot of fake Dell and HP stuff out there, especially if it is new.

You should be fine with the stock firmware--I don't think you would need to update it for the 2500k to work. If you don't know what you're doing with that, I wouldn't mess with it.

Honestly, I don't think your 2500k is genuine or real and that's why you're having problems. Return that to the seller and get a refund and get a used i5 like the 3470 and you'll have a slight upgrade:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i5-3470-vs-Intel-i5-2400/822vs793