Status
Not open for further replies.

tictakto

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
i have an 965BE oc 4ghz and 6950 crossfire.my 3dmark 11 scores is 7400p(which is very low)and the graphics score 10400.i wanna know if i upgrade to i5 will it make any difference???also after crossfiring my fps is nearly 75-85% of what benchmarks i see on the internet.

Solution
the overclocked ph ii x4 965 be should be good for now. a switch to intel now will cost you a new motherboard, cpu, may be a cooler too. if you wanna go intel, you could wait for a few months (around april) till ivy bridge comes out and make a decision then. check cpu and gpu usage during gaming for bottleneck occurance. run gpu z or hwmonitor or afterburner during benching/gaming.
965 be vs core i5 2500k at stock settings:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=102
Personally I think the 965 is good for 90% of situations. If your getting into heavy CPU tasks and want a bump in performance than the 2500k will do the job well. If you feel your games are too slow for your needs (not benchmarks) than you might consider the 2500k. It'll cost you a new mobo/CPU at the least, which is about >$300 for the 2 items. I'd rather spend some of that $ on an SSD for your system than upgrade to the 2500k, but that is just me.

may1

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
If you are doing CF, then you must be experiencing micro-stuttering, which will significantly vary FPS (sum of inc.) results. As such I wouldn't worry about your setup being 75% that of internet benchmarks.

As for upgrading, unless you are dead certain that you've hit a CPU bottleneck limiting your GPU potentials, and affecting gameplay significantly, I wouldn't buy the 2500k. Remember, there's not much difference between the two in terms of CPU horsepower, and CF configuration means you'll be mostly bothered about the disadvantages of it.

the overclocked ph ii x4 965 be should be good for now. a switch to intel now will cost you a new motherboard, cpu, may be a cooler too. if you wanna go intel, you could wait for a few months (around april) till ivy bridge comes out and make a decision then. check cpu and gpu usage during gaming for bottleneck occurance. run gpu z or hwmonitor or afterburner during benching/gaming.
965 be vs core i5 2500k at stock settings:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=102

Solution

tictakto

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012

i have a crossfire 6950

blacksci

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Aint gonna make a difference, the improvements expected from IB is a better integrated graphics solution, and a lower tdp due to the new manufacturing process. Like geekapproved said, 6% increase in actual cpu performance, your not gonna notice the difference with that card.

Status
Not open for further replies.