i5 2500k WONT overclock on Windows 10.

DFGum

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
Had windows 7 before. Easy peasey , was able to get 5.2ghz on my chip without even touching the voltage before.

"Updated" to windows 10, and hadn't really been gaming for a bit, so i didn't check my speeds.
Go to game and see i'm back at stock.
Cannot move bclck even by 1, windows will freeze if using program, will freeze loading if from bios.
Cannot move multiplier even up 1 from stock either, freeze if program, freeze if loading windows from bios.

What the heck is up?

DFGum

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
A degraded CPU wouldn't turn your overclock off. Nor would it care if you updated to windows 10.
Basic google searches led me to find multiple threads of the same problem when people upgraded to 10 , just no solutions.
Your capacitors in both motherboard and psu should/will go way before your cpu will.

DFGum

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
I have an outdated copy of my windows 7 installation on my old SSD when i swapped to a larger one. (not useful to me being outdated) but it can OC and the windows 10 can't.

Mobius79

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
I upgraded from win7 as well... have you tired to overclock with multiplier instead of BCLCK? keep BCLCK on 100 and use 45 as multiplier for example.

I don't see why the OS would tell your bios how to overclock your CPU. I was running 4.5ghz on Win7 upgraded to Win10 without going back in my bios and the overclock was never affected.

Unless you used a overclock program in windows ( which i would never recommend), I dont see how this could have happened.

DFGum

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
"Cannot move bclck even by 1, windows will freeze if using program, will freeze loading if from bios.
Cannot move multiplier even up 1 from stock either, freeze if program, freeze if loading windows from bios. "
I wrote this in the first post.
With win 7 before i was just using the asus suite 2 tool, and i was stable at 5.5 for 8hrs and bumped it down to 5.2 to be extra sure. When adjusting voltage before i was able to get 5.8 on bumping to 1.4volt. Only tested to 6hrs stable and said i didn't need it.

This is an updated from 7 version of 10. I don't have another drive thats not occupied to test a fresh 10, i might be able to make a partition on a regular HDD.