[SOLVED] i5 2500k

Aug 12, 2020
I am experiencing some really high CPU temperatures (89c)! 3 or 4 months ago it was running just fine, staying in the mid 70c, but now it's got a lot worse, I've bought a new heatsink with screws so it's nicely tight on the CPU heatsink and reapplied a new thermal paste, didn't put too much (dot method).

Yes, the CPU is overclocked using Turbo Boost but that was never the problem for me.
I've ran out of options other than to delid the CPU which seems impractical to me or afford water cooling.
I am just wondering if there's any possible way to improve the temperatures without having to buy stuff.
My PC is well cooled and clean, it has airflow and 4 fans inside.

I also wanna know if it's safe to keep the CPU to nearly 90c since I read that these type of CPUs thermal throttle at 95c.
Not a PC expert but having it close to thermal throttling has a bigger chance to stop functioning completely I think.

Solution
It's likely the thermal paste just needs to be refreshed...I'd pull the current cooler and grab a cheap Hyper 212 cooler and some decent thermal paste like Arctic Silver or another name brand.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What are your ambient room air temps? You might want to see if the board you're running on requires a BIOS update. Also, what is the make and model of your PSU and how is the airflow in your chassis?

Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
CPU Cooler: (before and after)
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Aug 12, 2020
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
CPU Cooler: (before and after) Stock Intel cooler (before) some unknown cooler I got from a friend. (after)
Motherboard: MSI H61M-P23 (B3) (MS-7680)
Ram: Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
SSD/HDD: SPCC Solid State Disk (SSD), SAMSUNG HD103SI (HDD)
GPU: Radeon RX 570 Series
PSU: LC Power ATX 600W LC600H-12 V2.31 12cm
Chassis: Some unknown case

Room temperature is about 28c

I remember updating my BIOS to the latest version which is from 2013.
The airflow is pretty good, air comes out from the top of the case, from the back, and below.

Aug 12, 2020
It's likely the thermal paste just needs to be refreshed...I'd pull the current cooler and grab a cheap Hyper 212 cooler and some decent thermal paste like Arctic Silver or another name brand.
I reapplied the thermal paste like 2 months ago.
I might actually buy a double fan cooler.