[SOLVED] i5 3340 still good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jubimaan

Reputable
Feb 20, 2017
Hey Im going to buy i5 3340 and shitty motherboard. (from my friend). he has used the cpu for 4 years. do you still think that cpu are worth to buy it. We made deal I will pay 110€ from the cpu and the shitty motherboard. I have gtx 660. Do you think I can play games without having fps problems. like csgo,overwatch and stuff?

Or do you recommend me to buy another cpu or should I pay less for that cpu? the motherboard is asustek P8B75-M Lx plus.

Solution
I have an i5-3340 and only 12gb ddr3 1600, And I can play all the newest games I have tried just fine. Right now I'm play FC new dawn, at 1440p! with a gtx 1660, and the performance is great!
Just as @con635 said, I can tell you from personal experience that this cpu is not going to be the weak link in your gaming system, even for high end gaming with video cards as good as mine and better. I am actually upgrading to one of the new rtx super sereies cards before my evga step up tim e is over. The 1660 works so well, i'm gonna go for full 4k gaming on this machine, which I have no doubt it will handle just fine with the right video card.
What you should be more worried about is the price you are paying. Looks like it can be...

jubimaan

Reputable
Feb 20, 2017

but do you think the cpu is oing to be useless soon since it's already 4 years old. and thx alot for the fast answer! and what do you think about the price :)?

oscar douglas

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016

go with the i5 3330, you'll see little difference in performance and its cheaper

jubimaan

Reputable
Feb 20, 2017

ya, I would do that. but I have ddr3 so cant touch intel new sockets. would be too expensive then.

febisfebi

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
I have an i5-3340 and only 12gb ddr3 1600, And I can play all the newest games I have tried just fine. Right now I'm play FC new dawn, at 1440p! with a gtx 1660, and the performance is great!
Just as @con635 said, I can tell you from personal experience that this cpu is not going to be the weak link in your gaming system, even for high end gaming with video cards as good as mine and better. I am actually upgrading to one of the new rtx super sereies cards before my evga step up tim e is over. The 1660 works so well, i'm gonna go for full 4k gaming on this machine, which I have no doubt it will handle just fine with the right video card.
What you should be more worried about is the price you are paying. Looks like it can be had for around $80 with mb, which is considerably less than you are paying for pre-owned used equipment. Look for refurbished or open box ideally, but pre-owned can certainly be had for less than the deal you and your friend made.

You should have an idea of what to expect from your video card. I would guess the system is probably even potentially overkill for a Gtx 660, although I am not all that familiar with that card. I assume you are familiar with what kind of performance to expect from your card. You could easily step down to the 3330, which sells for around $30 if regularly. You can get a pre-owned motherboard out of a dell optiplex for $18. So assuming you have ram, you could have a working sytem for around $50, that will serve you well no doubt. Even when you upgrade your GPU to be able to play more resource intense games.
If that $18 mb goes out, you can always buy another ~20 LGA1155 motherboard. Not terribly hard yo find.
Heres the one I mentiond for $18
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optip...634188?hash=item41ff54fd4c:g:RGcAAOSwo4pYSz3K

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.