Question i5 3470 at 70°C, but heatsink is cool to the touch

Jun 15, 2019
I just built my new PC. When I went to the BIOS, it says my CPU is at +70°C but my intel stock cooler is cool to the touch and my case is wide open. I wonder if I did not install the cpu cooler correctly? Any advice on anything I can do to take care of this?
My ambient temperature is 34°C

My PC spec if it helps:
i5 3470 with stock speed
Stock intel cooler
Asrock H61M-DGS mobo
Radeon RX 570 (not installed yet)

You built it out of secondhand parts?
You can use some other software in windows that will check the temperature for you as well.
It could be, because it's an old system the temperature monitoring system is faulty.
If it's cool to the touch, then I can't see how it is working correctly.

Jun 15, 2019
You built it out of secondhand parts?
You can use some other software in windows that will check the temperature for you as well.
It could be, because it's an old system the temperature monitoring system is faulty.
If it's cool to the touch, then I can't see how it is working correctly.

Used HWMonitor, it says +90°C. What should I do?

I just built my new PC. When I went to the BIOS, it says my CPU is at +70°C but my intel stock cooler is cool to the touch and my case is wide open. I wonder if I did not install the cpu cooler correctly? Any advice on anything I can do to take care of this?
My ambient temperature is 34°C

My PC spec if it helps:
i5 3470 with stock speed
Stock intel cooler
Asrock H61M-DGS mobo
Radeon RX 570 (not installed yet)
What you describe is exact result of cooler not being properly installed, Have you cleaned surfaces between CPu and cooler properly and applied new paste properly ?

Reactions: ElectrO_90