Question I5 3470 causing fps drops in GTA V

Jarebear

Prominent
Jul 4, 2019
I have a problem with GTA v on a fresh install of windows 10 and new install of GTA v I can not get a stable fps on story mode,online, or five m

My specs are
I5 3470
Rx 570 8gb
24gigs (2x8)(2x4)(both kits in respective slots)
500gb HDD

Problem:
Whilst playing GTA V my cpu usage will randomly drop from 80% utilization to 30-40% utilization causing my game to freeze for up to 6 secs dropping fps to 1-10 fps

This occurrence will happen somewhere between 4-5 times in a minute

I've tried:
Updating drivers
Fresh install of windows and GTA V
My thermals are fine no more than 65 CPU
Gpu is no more than 50
And unparking cores
I've also lowered setting to their lowest in game and it did nothing

Jarebear

Prominent
Jul 4, 2019
I'm also having trouble getting more than 60 fps even with vsync off on amd and in game even on low to medium setting, furthermore maintaining said fps it usually avgs 48 online and no more than 60 in story mode

Jul 2, 2019
Is your CPU clock speed being throttled when this happens? Suggest you use Afterburner to log clock speed whilst testing. This will tell us if your chip is causing the FPS drop. Since you have validated thermals, it could be a power issue, or a configuration issue.

Also run a Malware scan.

Let me know the results.

Jarebear

Prominent
Jul 4, 2019
Ok I ran malware bytes and it came back clean, msi showed no downclocking it maintained 3200 MHz
Not sure if this is a msi thing but it's only showing 35 wats of power used for both CPU and GPU

Jul 2, 2019
Thanks for the stats.

The fact that your CPU clock is constant takes the CPU out the equation and points to the GPU. Which makes sense given the CPU utilization drops, which would suggest the GPU is throttling and your CPU doesn't need to work as hard to process during the drops.

You can see that during the drops the GPU core, power and memory stats drop simultaneously. Just need to work out why.

What PSU are you using?

Jul 2, 2019
Unless it's failing I don't think that's the issue.

When you reinstalled GPU drivers did you use DDU first to remove all previous drivers?

Do you have this same problem with other games or just GTA?

To me this is a power issue or driver issue with the GPU. I would do a physical inspection on the GPU making sure everything is seated correctly. Reinstall drivers using DDU. Reset any overclock on GPU and potentially underclock to see if this helps.

Let us know how you get on.

Jarebear

Prominent
Jul 4, 2019
Unless it's failing I don't think that's the issue.

When you reinstalled GPU drivers did you use DDU first to remove all previous drivers?

Do you have this same problem with other games or just GTA?

To me this is a power issue or driver issue with the GPU. I would do a physical inspection on the GPU making sure everything is seated correctly. Reinstall drivers using DDU. Reset any overclock on GPU and potentially underclock to see if this helps.

i will try thx so much cant tell you how long ive been thinking its my cpu, ok brb ill let you know how things go

Jarebear

Prominent
Jul 4, 2019
OK that took way longer than i thought i apologize, i reinstalled amd drivers after uninstalling with DDU, i also moved my gpu to my second pcie x16 slot.

my game still freezes however my cpu was at 100% almost the entire time i tested, my cpu temps also got to 70C
my gpu watt usage went to about 70 at one point and avg like 50
i thought i was monitoring with msi but apparently not so i will do that again for 30 mins as a test and give you the results but i will say that my experience didnt seem to change the freezing was still very much noticeable

Jul 2, 2019
OK. I would keep your GPU in the primary slot from now on.

Next I would underclock the card in afterburner, about 20% on both core clock and mem clock. Then retest.
If that doesn't yield results, try reducing the power limit by 20% and retest.

If any of these have an impact on the frequency of the drops then we have isolated the issue to the GPU.

Last edited:

Jarebear

Prominent
Jul 4, 2019
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FVbzq-6KPKnoo7AQb9JFA7pJQPNgwqul/view?usp=sharing

i tested with memory and core clocks first via this link^
and i tested with power turned down to 20% second but msi didnt log it for some reason

both times fps drops still occurred and i did observe that every time my fps dropped my core clock i think went to 300

EDIT:
at 05-07-2019 04:48:01 i tested memory and core clock slashed to 20%

on 05-07-2019 05:47:52 i tested with power slashed to 20%

EDIT#2:
it was not core clock it was memory clocks that would drop to 300 when my fps drops

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019
I see that. So this means the card is throttling it's memory clock to 300 (base frequency) or before you made the recent changes, it sometimes throttled to 1000. So we have narrowed it down to your GPU being the cause of the drops. Now we need to find out why.

First, you can clean up the GPU usage logging by following this instruction:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/52xp5j/psa_if_youre_using_msi_afterburner_and_the_gpu/

Next ensure you have configured windows power management to 'performance'.

Now try and increase power limit and temp limit to max and retest.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ok...
1)You are cpu limited. GTA V runs more smoothly on hyperthreaded cpus. For example, 4c/8t, 6c/12t, and so on. The 3470 is a pure quad core. This is further proved by the fact that you lowered the graphics settings, and fps didn't change. GTA V isn't very big on gpu resources, so you'll seldom ever max out the RX 570.
2)You can't mix ram sticks like that - this is what causes your freezes. There's no benefit to filling all 4 slots on a dual channel motherboard - it forces the ram to run at the slowest speed, as well as adding instability. Since GTA V is a know ram hog given enough time, take the 2x 4 kit out and put the 2x 8 kit in its' respective slots according to your motherboard manual.
3)Changing to faster SSD would help with load times...

Just in case, what's the make and model of your power supply? Please don't post '500w psu', that's not enough for me to go on. I need a name and model number. You should be able to find a label on one of the sides of the unit if you don't know what it is.

Reactions: stripyhornet

Jarebear

Prominent
Jul 4, 2019
Focus fx 650 watt psu gold efficiency
I'll take out the ram tho before filling all slots I stilled had this issue with just the 16 gig kit

In regards to being CPU bottlenecked is there nothing I can do play this game at a stable fps, i meet recommended requirements on this game I should be able to get at least a stable 30 fps but even that's impossible

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Cool, you're clear on the power supply!

You had stability issues with just the 16GB kit? One of the sticks may be faulty.
This will take some time and a number of power offs, but take each stick, one at a time, and try them in all four slots to see if the motherboard detects it.
EX: Take stick 1, and run it through slots 1, 2, 3, and 4.
#2, also through 1, 2, 3, and 4... and so on.

Without having to spend money, raising the graphics settings (should put more load on the gpu) and getting the 16GB kit to work, is about the best you can do.
After that, I'd try getting a SSD for load times.
Then a used 2600 or 3770.

You don't have to change anything on your hardware...it's a problem with the game,search for stutter GTA V and you will get hundreds of thousands of hits on google.
GTA runs it's main thread with a high priority which makes windows go into troll mode,windows is made to stall any background threads if a high priority thread is running because that's what makes sense for multitasking,in this case background threads are the secondary threads of the game,resulting in heavy stutters because it only syncs up every so often.
Follow the instructions in the video if you want but be warned rockstar bans people for anything at times so use this at your own risk.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN-mdoMDuSQ
GTA V
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8DQl_VRiPw
GTA V loading times

Jarebear

Prominent
Jul 4, 2019
First thing I checked my ram slots everything is fine
Second thing my game doesn't stutter it freezes
Like I said the freezes can last to about 4-6 secs
If you look at the msi logs it shows how many times said freezes happen in a min it's like 4 or 5

Side note Ive seen people using my CPU run this game without fps drops/game freezes

Something isn't right here my CPU should still be able to handle GTA V to certain extent, the thing is I can get 50-60 fps sometimes 70-80 but no matter what even if play locked at 30 fps it still freezes 4-5 times in a min

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'm assuming you have the last published set of motherboard chipset drivers? When you fresh installed windows, you wiped out all the mobo drivers, as well as half the gpu drivers. Audio, Lan, USB, pcie, Sata all affect game play.

Also disable Xbox DVR and windows game bar, they are useless and can/will interfere with games.

Jarebear

Prominent
Jul 4, 2019
I didn't manually uninstall Mobo drivers I used drive easy to make sure all.my drivers were up to date after reinstalling windows 10 everything is up to date according to driver easy

Edit also Xbox stuff is disabled