[SOLVED] I5-3470 getting insanely hot

Fatalzo

Great
May 7, 2021
Whenever I play KSP on lowest graphics on my computer, my I5-3470 can get as hot as 67c.
Please help i dont want this cpu to die!

This CPU is 8 years old, used (the computer i bought didnt advertise being used so thats not my fault)

I have no idea what the voltage or cooler is because I have the IQ of a deep fried potato, but here's what I do know:

• Speed is 3.2GHZ
  • Idles 38c
  • Maxes (usually) at 67c
  • Never had the computer turn off from overheating
  • Throttled before

Last edited:
Solution
Those temperatures are fine.

After 80-85 is where it starts to get a little worrying temperature wise.

You are very unlikely to ever damage the CPU as it will slow down or shut down to protect itself in the case of severe overheating. It usually starts throttling around 95-100c.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age (8 years?), condition (apparently used if I understand your post correctly).

Drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

= = = =

First: Defer on heavy gaming.

Second: Back up all important data at least 2 x to locations off of the overheating computer.

Third: Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Inspect for signs of over heating: blackened/browned components, swollen components, wires with melted insulation, or bare copper showing.

Those temperatures are fine.

After 80-85 is where it starts to get a little worrying temperature wise.

You are very unlikely to ever damage the CPU as it will slow down or shut down to protect itself in the case of severe overheating. It usually starts throttling around 95-100c.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS