i5-3470 temp gets above 80 degrees

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

s03

Honorable
Jun 5, 2014
Hi, good day everyone.

I just bought myself a used i5-3470 and a rx480 since im not ready for a full platform upgrade and i already have a h61 mobo and ddr3 ram. I was checking the temp im getting with the cpu and noticed that the cpu gets more than 80 degrees, on full load. Im using the stock intel heatsink(the one with copper in the middle). Got this new from a friend of mine.

I thought i might have installed things wrongly.. So what i did was, cleaned the old thermal paste, installed fresh paste, and installed back the heatsink. Tried, and yet the thermals were high.

This time i took everything out of the case, went through the same process of installing new thermal paste and checked the thermal with full load. Even after 6 mins of full load, the thermals were below 80, hovering around 76-79, whereas earlier it would go above 80 degrees in just few minutes.

Installed everything back in the case as they were and checked the thermals back and it goes above 80 degrees back again. Im clueless now. Im not sure if a case can make such a drastic change in thermals. You guys have any ideas as what I should do now?

1) Im not sure if the heatsink moved or anything like that after i tried on the table while installing it back in the case. I guess it shouldnt move or anything like that since the heatsink is tightly locked to the mobo.

2) I used a different psu while trying on the table? I highly doubt that the psu is the culprit.

3) I didnt install the graphics card while trying the mobo and cpu outside of the case. The graphics card was installed when i was checking the temp of cpu when its all in the case. Again, I doubt that the graphics card is the culprit.

Hope someone could shine a light on how to tackle this situation. Thank you in advance.

s03

Honorable
Jun 5, 2014
Well technically no but you may be able to tweak the base clock for more clocks. This new forum is slow for some reason aswell.
Hi, i could get the cm hyper h411r at a much cheaper price. Do you feel its a good cooler? I could get the 212 turbo, but saw this at a much cheaper price. So just wanna know if its worth it to get that.

s03

Honorable
Jun 5, 2014
The hyper 411 is lower end but still would massively outperform the stock cooler. If its cheap get it.
Hi, I just got the cm hyper 212 turbo. Went with the 212 cause i got some discount on a local store. The difference between the stock cooler and 212 is day and night. Temperature never exceed above 75 on prime95 26.6, and in other occasions(ex:COD WW2) where the cpu went above 80 degrees with stock cooler earlier is no more than 70 degrees now with the 212. Its a great buy. Thank you.