[SOLVED] i5-3570 and RX 580 at 1080p?

Solution
General question, since spentshells got me thinking about a Xeon...
I've read that certain features are lacking in Xeons that are found in their i7 counterparts. Anything needed for gaming I should be concerned about?

As an owner of several xeons from this era, memory overclocking can be a pain in the butt if you go past 1866Mhz.

No integrated graphics, with the exception of the models that end with 5 which are fairly cheap

No overclocking at all, on a proper board you can enable all core boost all the time, but it really isn't that helpful.

They usually have more features not less. You are not likely to use any of these features.

Using e3 xeons in standard motherboards has been halted by intel after v2

not all xeons have...

USAFRet

Titan
Would the RX 580 really be bottlenecked by the i5-3570? Bottleneck Calculator says yes.
  1. For what use is this system?
  2. That bottleneck calculator is utter crap. No connection with any reality, Trash. Should be ignored completely.

Given a couple of parts (specs in my sig below), which "bottleneck" number is correct?
18%, 1.87%, 3.42%?
They ALL are.

Same system, tests separated by time.
iauS5R5.png

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
So, then...
  1. For what use is this system?
  2. That bottleneck calculator is utter crap. No connection with any reality, Trash. Should be ignored completely.
Given a couple of parts (specs in my sig below), which "bottleneck" number is correct?
18%, 1.87%, 3.42%?
They ALL are.

Same system, tests separated by time.
iauS5R5.png
That's why I came here. To get the straight scoop. The system would be used for 1080p gaming, web surfing, the usual.

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah, I heard that Bottleneck Calculator was flaky. But what else is there to go by other than experience then? Know if any other sites that are more accurate?
No. There is none.
You can't calculate it like that.

In one game, a particular combination might be great. In another, that same combination might suck.

Where to find info? Actual reviews, and asking at sites like here. Dip into the collective brain trust and their experience.

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
My previous cpu was a 3570k. It struggled on some games and did ok on others. It's never going to give you really high fps. It suffers a bit from lack of IPC and clock speed now as well as only 4 cores without HT.
When you say your 3570k struggled, what card were you using at the time and at what screen rez?

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
4 threads really isn't enough these days. Here, these are 70 dollars
https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20201227132240&SearchText=e3+1270+v2

These xeons will drop directly into your motherboard, no updates or changes required. This is a substantial upgrade.

I've got the same one, it keeps up just fine with a 1070ti for 1080P 60fps.
I hope you have 1600Mhz ram at least.
Does Aliexpress have U.S. warehouses, or does everything have to ship from China.

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
I was using a GTX 760, a 1050 ti and then a Vega 56, screen res is 3440 x 1440. The game I particularly remember struggling with was Far Cry 5.

I would often play in windowed mode at a lower resolution or use scaling in demanding games
Did the fps improve any when you switched from the gtx 760 to the vega56?

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
I've read that certain features are lacking in Xeons that are found in their i7 counterparts. Anything needed for gaming I should be concerned about?

Last edited:

As an owner of several xeons from this era, memory overclocking can be a pain in the butt if you go past 1866Mhz.

No integrated graphics, with the exception of the models that end with 5 which are fairly cheap

No overclocking at all, on a proper board you can enable all core boost all the time, but it really isn't that helpful.

They usually have more features not less. You are not likely to use any of these features.

Using e3 xeons in standard motherboards has been halted by intel after v2

not all xeons have hyperthreading

Solution

TRENDING THREADS