Question i5 3570k @ 4.0 GHZ core frequency jumps up and down

furikusan

Prominent
Jan 8, 2019
Im new to OC so its very likely i did set it up wrong. also sorry for my english.

I did OC on my cpu, however in CPUz i see the multiplier jumping up and down even at idle. that can be seen in msi afterburner as well. not sure if there is some built in system that prevents it or maybe my config is bad. any suggestions are welcome.

the specs of the machine can be seen on screens/pictures detailing the event of frequency jumping.

cpuz

multiplier x40 shown in app
AdppIGI.png

multiplier x40 shown in app but some cores are x16
wCKcouE.png

multiplier x16 shown in app but other cores are x40
7hOZ6cw.png

In MSI afterburner it seems only one core jumps up and down mainly core 0 as shown here usualy in idle.
jsAcsC1.png

however on some occasions like today when im writing this topic core 1 jumps as well however not so often as the core 0
DTqezSl.png

im not sure if its normal or even something on OS maybe mobo side. i dont want to damage my cpu - maybe its like that to prevent from overheating but the temps seem OK.

here are some more pics. from MSI Controll Center
this allways show up when i start the app. its like that ever since i can remember dont know how to fix it after accepting the app starts.
jBqKX7j.png

yYNvNa5.png

and MOBO setings in BIOS
C1sA4uJ.jpg

VfXGxt5.jpg

Thanks in advance for all the help and tips

Tad2

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
TLDR so take this with a grain of salt.
but in my experience fluctuations mean something is wrong.
So idk if you're oc or not, but i'd set everything back to stock and start over..

That's Intel Speedstep and C states doing what their supposed to. The CPU will auto downclock to preserve power. It'll jump up to 40x if CPU load is high enough.

If you want this to stop happening, (as said above) run windows high performance power plan. But really there is no reason not to leave this power feature on as it has basically zero performance impact.

furikusan

Prominent
Jan 8, 2019
where do i find this performance power option? in power settings? i have there high performance checked, maybe there is some option within? my OS is in my native language so would be great if some pictures /guides could be provided

TRENDING THREADS