Question i5 3570k bottleneck rx 580 8gb ?

I wouldn't be too concerned about that. Per-core performance of processors hasn't been advancing that quickly in recent years, and an i5-3570K should still be roughly similar in performance to the current quad-cores from Intel or AMD. Those are now positioned as budget models (i3 or Ryzen 3), with higher-end processors getting more cores and somewhat higher clocks, but even those should be fine enough to run the vast majority of current games quite well. With a more mid-range card like an RX 580, I doubt the CPU would limit your performance much, assuming you're targetting a resolution of 1080p or higher in recent games.

Mar 20, 2019
I wouldn't be too concerned about that. Per-core performance of processors hasn't been advancing that quickly in recent years, and an i5-3570K should still be roughly similar in performance to the current quad-cores from Intel or AMD. Those are now positioned as budget models (i3 or Ryzen 3), with higher-end processors getting more cores and somewhat higher clocks, but even those should be fine enough to run the vast majority of current games quite well. With a more mid-range card like an RX 580, I doubt the CPU would limit your performance much, assuming you're targetting a resolution of 1080p or higher in recent games.

so what cpu do u recommend?
i am now using a i5 2500 cpu
however, my motherboard only supports i5 1155 cpus so i could only use i5 3th .

I would recommend keeping the i5 2500 and pairing it with the rx580. The 580 and quad-core i5 will actually be a good pairing, capable of 60fps 1080p gaming. The I5 2500 performs just behind a low-end quad-core Ryzen 3 CPU, which can usually handle a 580 quite easily in most titles. In CPU stressing titles, you will see a CPU limit, but the i5 will still deliver great framerates even maxed out. For example, my gtx 1050 and overclocked Ryzen 3 1200 causes a CPU limit in GTAV, but it still manages to get 60-75 FPS @1080p med/high no AA. Expect high performance even when CPU is a limit, which will be about = with the times the GPU is limit.

At stock clocks, an i5-2500K actually performs really close to an i5-3570K, so again, the same thing stands. It should still perform rather well, unless perhaps one is targeting high-refresh rate gaming on a 144Hz screen with a graphics card that significantly outperforms the processor at a given resolution.

I wouldn't bother upgrading from a 2500K to a 3570K, as the performance difference would be more or less unnoticeable. Maybe a compatible i7 with Hyperthreading could help smooth frame rates a bit in the handful of games that can really utilize more threads, but I would probably just hold off on upgrading for the time being, at least until the next generation of 7 and 10nm CPUs start coming out and there are more examples of games that benefit from having more than a quad-core processor.

Do you have the card already, and are you experiencing any performance issues with it?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I7-3770K and gtx 970.

Csgo is solid 300fps. Skyrim with 138 2k/4k/8k mods including cities, flora and fauna, lighting, weather and still get over 60fps at ultra everything on 1080p. Metal Gear Solid V, solid 60fps with 4k DSR. Swtor capped at 90fps(or I get tearing). Guild Wars 2, over 60fps at ultra.

And yes, I own both 3570k and 3770k, similar setups and the difference is night and day in any of those games. The 3570k even has problems with some minecraft mods, simply due to lack of threads.

Granted, at 124% OC, it's a hair better than the 580, but close enough not to mention. The i5-3570k however isn't worth the investment. I5 Sandy-Bridge to i5 Ivy-Bridge only showed @5% improvement overall, so at this point its really close enough to be the same thing minus a few instruction sets. Moving from that 2500 to a 3770k would show much better results in many games. Any of the open world type games online rely heavily on thread count, the sheer amount of data from heavy server drops demand it. Also single player games like Gta5 have minimum requirements of 4 threads, but suffer heavily in fps as a result, recommended 8 thread cpus older than CoffeeLake.

$200 should be your cut off budget for upgrade. If it's less than $200, look for i7-3770K, i7 3770 or Xeon 1270v2 (if no OC mobo or just can't). Over $200 budget, start planning on amd Ryzen 2600/B450/16Gb 3200 ddr4. Somewhere around $400ish depending on sales.

If your OS isn't on an SSD, start there first. Fps might not improve much, if any, but everything else will, including load times, wait times, maps, getting around in windows etc.

Reactions: MetallicMonk
So in reality, the i5 will work fine with the 580, but i agree an upgrade to a 3770k would be a much worth it performance increase. 4 threads isnt great nowadays, but it can run most games decently well. By the way, if you need to buy an ssd, trust your data with a quality brand brand like crucial or samsung. A quality ssd will make a system sok much faster and more reliable.