I5 3570k degradation?

dznuts

Reputable
Oct 18, 2014
when i first build my system my i5 would run stable at 4.7ghz 1.32 V 89*C . Cpu was stable at 4.4ghz stock voltage. but was ran at 4.7ghz for about the first 2 weeks to test the limits and for burn in.

for 24/7 usage i would run stock voltage at 4ghz 66*c.

Skip 1 year later and i want to get some more out of my cpu but cant get this cpu stable at anything over 4ghz

my first thought was my Old PSU so i picked up a new evga 850w
My temps are Fine and the voltage is being set right and reporting in windows.
i tryed lowering my ram to 1333mhz and made no difference.
The system is still very stable at 4ghz stock voltage

is this normal? could running at 4ghz at stock voltage for a year degraded the cpu?

i5-3570k
Thermal take water 2.0 pro 2x NFP-12 fans "PushPull"
asrock Z77 extreme4 "P2.00 bios" also tryed P2.90
8gigs hyperx 2400mhz ddr-3
pny xlr8 120gig ssd's 2x raid-o
Evga 850w supernova b2 "old psu was antec earthwatt 650w"
Currently my old Sapphire Vapor-x 7950 boost
"XFX R9 290X DD being RMA'd"

Undying89

Distinguished
No its not possible. For instance i'm using 2500k at 4.7ghz. First when i got it i was able to do 4.9ghz at 1.428v. Now i can do 4.7Ghz at 1.428v, thats a degradation over 2-3 years (not 24/7 though).

dznuts

Reputable
Oct 18, 2014
im going to try again tonight to get it up at 4.4ghz. ill take a good look at the voltages to see if my crashing is related, maybe a drop in voltage from failing mobo VRM's

I see you mentioned 2 different BIOS versions. Did you have the same version when you discovered you couldn't get stability over 4ghz as when you originally got to 4.4 and 4.7? I've know that firmware updates can affect overclocking stability/settings from one version to the next. Actually had this happen to me recently on getting my X99 platform up and running.

dznuts

Reputable
Oct 18, 2014
yes im back on P2.00 that i had stable at 4.7ghz."
The new bios p2.90 has some really weird LLC not good for stable OC. Also lead me to think my psu was my issue.

Currently at 4.4ghz 1.225V stable again

Thank you 1LiquidPC it was the new bios that was holding me back.

CompuTronix

Intel Master

Guys,

Comparing the core voltage of a 32 nanometer processor to a 22 nanometer processor is like comparing apples to oranges.

From the Intel Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

Section 8 - Overclocking and Vcore

" ... Every processor is unique in it's overclocking potential, voltage tolerance and thermal behavior.

Regardless, excessive Vcore and temperatures will result in accelerated "Electromigration" - https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Electromigration - which prematurely erodes the traces and junctions within the processor's layers and nano-circuits. This will eventually result in blue-screen crashes, which will become increasingly frequent over time.

CPU's become more susceptible to Electromigration with each Die-shrink, so 22 Nanometer architecture is less tolerant of over-volting. Nevertheless, Vcore settings should not exceed the following:

-> Core 2

1st. Generation 65 Nanometer ... 1.50 Vcore
2nd Generation 45 Nanometer ... 1.40 Vcore

-> Core i

1st. Generation 45 Nanometer ... 1.40 Vcore
2nd Generation 32 Nanometer ... 1.35 Vcore
3rd Generation 22 Nanometer ... 1.30 Vcore
4th Generation 22 Nanometer ... 1.30 Vcore

When tweaking your processor near it's highest overclock, keep in mind that for an increase of 100 MHz, a corresponding increase of approximately 40 to 50 millivolts (0.040 to 0.050) is required ... "

The values shown above are the recommended maximums based upon the consensus of the most informed, knowledgeable and experienced overclockers not just from Tom's, but also from many popular computer enthusiast websites. This information has been collected over the course of many years, and as platforms age, has been proven correct.

As overclockers, we each have to ask ourselves; is getting that last 100 MHz and the Vcore required for stablility worth compromising the long term stability of our processors?

Just a thought ...

CT :sol: