I5 3570k or FX 8350 for Gaming/Video Rendering PC?

thecolombianjesus

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
Sorry to start another Intel vs AMD thread guys, but I just can't decide which CPU to choose :( This is going to be my very first build. It's going to be MAINLY a GAMING PC, however I am going to start recording/editing gameplay videos and start making youtube commentaries. I also want to get into 3D modeling/some programming since I do want to be a video game designer, but I'm only 16 and a sophomore in high school right now. So I feel that once I do get into more of the professional stuff I could upgrade to something really high end. But that will be once I am done with high school.

Anyways, I have spent countless hours researching and looking at benchmarks for all of my parts, especially the CPU. I just can't decide which one to choose. I know the 8350 has multi-threading technology and that it would help a lot for video editing/rendering. However, I have seen benchmarks showing that the i5 3570k still beats the 8350 in most production tests, while I have also seen benchmarks that show the 8350 winning. In terms of gaming performance, they are both very close but I know the 3570k is the winner in most tests with it's dominant single-thread performance. Since gaming is the biggest priority for this PC, I'm leaning more torwards the Intel side. The AMD chip still is a very viable option, and I keep switching back and forth between the two. Intel does appeal to me more because they seem to be the more advanced company when it comes to manufacturing. The power consumption of the 8350 is a real downside. It's not a major deal though.

These are the builds that I would most likely go with for either CPU:

i5 3570k: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GrAk

FX 8350: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Eywm

I will be playing games such as Battlefield 3, Crysis 3, ARMA 2, Planetside 2, Guild Wars 2, and other high demanding games. I know some games are being optimized for more cores as technology advances, but a lot of people are saying that it will be a while before games go past 4 cores. I know Battlefield 3 is able to use more than 4 cores, but that's all that I know of.

Which CPU do you guys think I should go with or which one do you guys think is just the better overall CPU?

Thanks in advance guys! :)

Gate9er

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

i5 3570K is one of the best processors in the market in terms of price you pay/performance you get. I am an Intel fan as well, you got it right :)