I5-3570k overclocking + overheating issues

hausofleeching

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
Hi there,
Im fairly new to overclocking here. Currently i have a few problems in hand before i start to overclock. Whenever i bring up my stress test at about 3.8 ghz there is always a heating issue. Temperature of the core always runs up to 105 degrees. It is about 30-55 degrees running at normal conditions. Is this normal? i have tried to lower my CPU voltage but it still hovers at temperature above 100 degrees.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Here's my computer specs.

MOBO: Asus P8Z77-V
CPU: i5-3570k
CPU Cooler: Cooler master Hyper T4
RAM: 12GB RAM 1600
Hard drive: 240GB SSD Corsair GTX

Your Sincerely.

Lee

hausofleeching

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
sam thanks for the advice. i have reseated my heatsink and reapplied my thermal paste. But it doesnt seems to improve much. My idle CPU temp is running about 30-45 degrees celsius and when i run a stress test temperature are still running above 100.

Here's a breakdown on what im running on
CPU voltage: 1.17V
DDR Voltage: 1.5V
BCLK Freq: 102.5
CPU Ratio: 41.0
VCCSA Voltage: 1.050
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.8
PCH Voltage 1.050

Thanks.

Lee

rene13cross

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012

Something is seriously not right there.

This is not intended to offend your intelligence or anything like that but are you sure you are applying the correct amount of thermal paste and seating the heatsink correctly? RE the thermal paste, take a look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hNgFNH7zhQ

hausofleeching

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
rene thanks for the reminder :)

Yes i did read the tutorials on applying thermal paste with the correct method. Im now wondering if the thermal paste that comes along with my cooler is too low grade. Should i try with a arctic sliver series?

samuelspark

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

Stock CM paste is fine. Your ambient temperature is probably too high as well as the fact you are overclocking too much. Your CPU cooler isn't cut out for overclocks paste 4GHz. It's a budget cooler, hence the low price you paid for it. I would probably back off to 3.8-4.0 and try again.

samuelspark

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

Antec Kuhler 620 is a pretty good cooler for about 50USD. Being a water all in one, it is very compact and does not have any maintenance requirements.

Adroid

Distinguished
I still think you are doing something wrong. Check the artic silver website for instructions how to apply thermal paste to a 3rd gen intel.

Too much or too little thermal paste = bad temperatures.

If you can't get your CPU to idle around 35C at stock speeds (or preferably lower), I would abandon your overclocking efforts entirely.

You are likely to damage your system if you keep it up.

I am curious if your stock cooler would do better than the one you have - maybe you got a bad cooler?