I5 3570k temperature scare.

austin707

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
Hello guys,

I built my own gaming pc recently and I'm getting frightened a bit by the temp posts mentioned by people here. Some have mentioned that the idle temp of the 3570k should be around 30C. I have installed a cooler master hyper 212 evo and I'm using an MSI z77a gd65 motherboard. The bios displays the cpu temperature as 40C. Is this normal?? If I start gaming, will it shoot up wickedly??? Please help guys, I don't want to blow my investment.

Thanks in advance.

bemused_fred

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
40c is absolutely fine. The recommended maximum temperature for an intel CPU is 72c, but they can really survive up to about 90c before they throttle. Download and run Prime95 and see what temperatures CPUz reports. If you stay below 72, you're fine.

austin707

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012

Yes I have applied the pea size amount after a lot of research and the base of the cooler is sitting quite snug. It doesn't move. I was surprised that many guys over here mentioned that the temps vary between 28-35 roughly.

I'll download that cpu z software and check what numbers it puts up. Thank you guys! I appreciate your help.

satyamdubey

Distinguished
13M is right. BIOS temps are always higher. In BIOS, you run a single core at full rated speed without the turbo but also without speed step and C-states (processor power states, which allows the processor to engage and disengage certain features according to the load demand thus consuming less power whenever possible). BIOS is just one infinite loop which keeps waiting for user input.

monitor temps from Windows and so long as you spend most of your high load below 75C you are good. Your ivy cpu's max core temp that it can reach before throttling or shutting down is 103-105C. long way till you get there :)

40C for BIOS is really very good temp. My 2400 idles at 60-62 C in BIOS with a 34-35 C ambient.

Your temps are fine and no need to worry.

good luck
-satyam

austin707

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012

Thank you very much for that info Satyam. I can heave a sigh of relief now. LOL! :pt1cable: