Question i5 3750k to i7 3770k

Apr 21, 2022
I’m using an Intel i5 3570k in a Gigabyte Z77x-UD5H. I mainly built this as a DAW - audio tracks and virtual instruments. The DAW does use hyper threading and the i5 is limited to a thread per core. The i7 3770k can do two threads per core, so 8 processing streams.
In my usage case is this a decent jump in performance for very little cost (as these 3000 series chips all sell for about the same now - selling the i5 to buy the i7)? Any issues with the i7 on this motherboard? I plan on using a standard cpu cooling fan.

Last edited:
While I don't see any benchmarks for audio processing, I do see a lot for video encoding and since the two tend to use the same kinds of math since audio and video processing can be under the umbrella of signal processing...

My take is it's not going to help much. Maybe add 10-15% in a best case since Handbrake doesn't see much of a bump with Hyperthreading/SMT on.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If you want to extend the life of the system a little longer, sure.

Since you would have to get ram to replace the motherboard, yeah, not much sense.

Consider something like an i3-10100, cheap B560 motherboard, and some DDR4 to get even more performance (or even a 10400 for six cores 12 threads)

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
A 3770 scores about 1400 and a little in Cinebench R20. I know the K will be marginally faster.

Given the age of the components and what I presume will be a $100-ish price tag on the 3770K, I completely back @Eximo and @hotaru.hino. You could currently build out aspects of a 10-11th gen i5 system that would kick this thing in the teeth, even an i3 would be a marked improvement. The unknown aspect would be licensure of the program you are currently using for processing audio, as well as OS.

I have an old Dell system that I have placed in the media spot for a moment while I am performing some side by side daily use comparison for the rig I normally have there and my (current) main desktop work/play PC. It has a 3770 inside and where this was once a vaunted CPU, it's long in the tooth and not much left in the tank for more than media consumption, simple browsing and such. Any benchmark, actual working process, etc. that I put it through is a study in patience.