Twinkletoes

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
Hey, i just orderd a new CPU, a Intel i5 3750k, and i am wondering how far can/should i overclock it, i have a MSI Mpower MoBo, and a custom loop water cooling, i really wnt to take it to the edgen ive heard that they get really warm after like 4.6???

thank you very much
-Me

socialfox

Distinguished
With a custom water loop cooling I say you won't have trouble with 4.6 ghz, I have a friend who achieved 4.4 ghz with the Corsair H100 with a voltage of 1.275 (note that voltage you will need it). With the overclock he does not break over 51 degrees when stressed. You may want to post what your custom water cooling is made up of so when the water cooling experts read this they can determine if it is good enough. I assume any custom water cooling loop you spend over $200 is better than a H100.

Edit: Oh yes, Toms did an article/tutorial on overclocking a similar CPU the i7-3770k which is not too far from your CPU, maybe you should give it a read.

- Socialfox :)

Twinkletoes

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012

Cheers, well my WC setup is a Zalman 1 passive water cooler, as well as a 240 rad, the block i am not sure of, any suggestions for any upgrades??

G

What were your temps? I was thinking of going with a similar setup and overclocking.

Thanks.

That is entirely dependent on what chip you got. I got lucky, and hit 4.4 stable @ 1.18v and a Hyper 212+ with a custom fan.

socialfox

Distinguished
True, I think my friend could have actually lowered the voltage a bit more since many people can reach that with lower voltages. No harm done with that type of voltage increase. Either way, I do not own that CPU. All my builds have been AMD based going back to socket 939 :p, I have never owned an intel.

socialfox

Distinguished
Yes Intel processors are actually better (it pains me as a AMD fanboy to say that) but I would say price to performance wise AMD wins, if its raw performance Intel wins by a far shot. They are probably years ahead of AMD in processors.

Twinkletoes

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
Well, i could have got a 8 core amd for the price of my intel, however, this is what confuses me, how on earth can a 4 core smash a 8 core at the same clock speeds??? just seems wierd...

^ Because clock speeds mean NOTHING.
Performance per clock speed is completely, completely different, due to a whole lot of 9things. Clock speeds are only useful for two things: comparing the same model of chips (2 ivy bridge i5s, for example), and impressing people with big numbers.

I love AMD, but their processors do WAY less work per tick than Intel's do.

socialfox

Distinguished
Intel and AMD are very different when it comes to cores. Take for example the recent Fx-6100 has 6 cores but it actually has only 3 executive cores and just 6 threads. So essentially it is better than a tri core but worse than most quad cores. I assume Intel has all executive cores (need confirmation, not an expert on Intel). It is also more of the CPU architecture that plays a good chunk of the role in speed.

Socialfox - intel doesn't always use all physical cores - the i7 has four physical and four hyperthreaded, and most of the mobile chips have at least half virtual cores. You are right though - architecture matters more than anything else, just like the only reliable measurement of a GPU is found in the Teraflops.

Twinkletoes

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
Ok, Thank you very much, also, i know this is a bit off topic, but is there a way i can see when you guys have replyed, without chehcing my e.maile every 2 mins? thx again

socialfox

Distinguished
log on to your Tom hardware account and when your in the forum section on the upper right hand of your screen should be three red boxes: profile, threads and messages. You should see a number by the thread box if you have a new reply.