[SOLVED] i5 3rd Gen 16GB RAM vs i5 th Gen 8 GB RAM vs i7 3rd Gen 16 GB RAM

dstubbornkanav

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2012
I owe an IT company and want to built a budget PC for my developers.

I looked up at different variants and liked the following three:

i5 3470 3.2GHZ + 16GB DDR3 RAM + Nvidia 710 Graphics with 2GB RAM + 1.0 TB Hard Disk

i5 7400 3.0Ghz + 8 GB DDR4 RAM + 120 GB SSD + 1.0 TB Hard Disk

i7 3770 3.1Ghz + 16 GB DDR3 RAM + Nvidia 1030 Graphics with 2 GB RAM + 120 SSD + 1.0 TB Hard Disk

80% of PC will be used by developers running Linux, Apache, MySQL/PosGres, Php, Python
20% will be used PC will be used by designers running Photoshop, Illustrator, Corel Draw etc.

Not sure which one will perform better. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Solution
I7-3770. The i5-7400 has faster single core, but in any situation involving multitasking the i7's greater thread count is going to make a difference. It's also 16Gb of ram vrs 8Gb which will make an impact on open tabs running background processes. Coupled with the graphics power of the GT1030 vrs igpu?, kind of a no brainer.

Just based on the builds as is.

kanewolf

Titan
Do these developers use their local host for compiles? Do they need access to the latest instruction set from Intel or AMD? Do they need access to the latest CUDA verions? Do they run VMs for testing?

There is lots of info needed to provide an optimum answer ...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I7-3770. The i5-7400 has faster single core, but in any situation involving multitasking the i7's greater thread count is going to make a difference. It's also 16Gb of ram vrs 8Gb which will make an impact on open tabs running background processes. Coupled with the graphics power of the GT1030 vrs igpu?, kind of a no brainer.

Just based on the builds as is.

Reactions: Vic 40
Solution

dstubbornkanav

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2012
Do these developers use their local host for compiles? Do they need access to the latest instruction set from Intel or AMD? Do they need access to the latest CUDA verions? Do they run VMs for testing?

There is lots of info needed to provide an optimum answer ...

No they won't be running VMs or CUDA. Will be using Ubuntu 18.04 combined with Apache/Nginx, MySQL, Php, Python, Sublime Text/PhpStorm/Visual Studio etc

kanewolf

Titan
No they won't be running VMs or CUDA. Will be using Ubuntu 18.04 combined with Apache/Nginx, MySQL, Php, Python, Sublime Text/PhpStorm/Visual Studio etc
Are they COMPILING on these hosts? More cores(i7) is beneficial for that. If your CM is handled on a server and builds are done there, then that is less important.
It sounds like they will have to have a LAMP stack. More cores will benefit that since the Apache server and SQL server both require resources. I would say the 3770 config is probably best.