[SOLVED] I5 4200u incredibly slow compared to weaker atoms

I'm a bit confused as to what is currently going on with an old tablet I use.

I have this old sony vaio tap 11 with the following specs:

i5 4200u
4gb of ram
128gb ssd

I haven't used it for a while and went to pick it back up but over the couple of months I used it it has been terribly slow. As in I can barely read an ebook slow. I checked thermals and all seems fine. Memtest doesn't bring back any issues and the battery has since been replaced and I get a lot longer lif out of it now and I have reinstalled both windows 8.1 and 10 to not succes.

I ended up borrowing a cheap tablet a friend got from amazon which a atom x5 z8300 and 4gb of ram and that was so much better to use even tho it has a fair bit weaker cpu and graphics.

Anyone got any idea why this tablet is so slow? It shouldn't be this slow at all considering an atom can handle these tasks just fine.
You can compare it to the entry level surface 2 as this was direct competition for it.

Solution
Check memory usage in Task Manager (ctrl - alt - del). If your RAM is used up. That will really slow things down if you are page filing.
Check the storage usage on your SSD. Less than 20% remaining can slow things down. Less than 10% can have a severe impact.
Check CPU usage in Task Manager. Perhaps there is some rogue process.
Run a scan with Malwarebytes. It could be some malware.
Check your SSD manufacturer for a diagnostic tool. If unknown or not available try CrystalDiskInfo. It won't look like it is doing anything. Just wait for it.
Check memory usage in Task Manager (ctrl - alt - del). If your RAM is used up. That will really slow things down if you are page filing.
Check the storage usage on your SSD. Less than 20% remaining can slow things down. Less than 10% can have a severe impact.
Check your SSD manufacturer for a diagnostic tool. If unknown or not available try CrystalDiskInfo. It won't look like it is doing anything. Just wait for it.

Solution

Ram is all good usually hovers around 2gb and the pagefile isn't used much at all. It's also virusfree as well I did multiple reinstalls and did do a malwarebytes scan to see if there wasn't anything hidden causing infections but all was good.

I never checked the ssd and when I did I got a bad health warning and ended up doing a speedtest and well it was pretty terrible. Thanks for suggesting that seems like I just need to get a new m.2 sata ssd and all should be good again.

TRENDING THREADS