Question i5 4440+B85 mobo+8 GB 1600mhz+GTX 1060 6GB, should I upgrade ?

eljoantonyn

Reputable
Aug 15, 2019
Hi guys !

I have a very old system which is having some issues at the moment. I'm only running with a 4GB ram as the other RAM stick is preventing my system from booting up. So, I'm thinking about getting a new 8GB DDR3 ram to replace it.

I know the current-gen is much better in performance but 2020 has so many promising stuff.
I'm thinking of getting the PS5 and a Microsoft Surface instead of a gaming PC next year. Even if go the gaming PC route, there are the new Intel 10 series and AMD 4000 series of CPUs, Nvidia Ampere and AMD's ray tracing "Nvidia Killer", possible DDR5 RAMs, faster SSDs, etc.
So, I think I should wait before spending big on a PC at the moment.

I'm a casual gamer and a mechanical design professional (AutoCAD, Solidworks, Ansys, etc) and I'm perfectly happy with what I have apart from the RAM issue which made my PC very slow. I'm not gonna run the latest games (like Control). I'm currently playing Witcher 3 (modded) and COH 2 next in line. Then I would have the Wolfenstein series: The New Order, The New Colossus, and Young Blood.

So, is my thinking sound?
Have I missed anything?

Wolfshadw

Titan
There's ALWAYS going to be something new just around the corner. If you're always waiting for the next best thing, you'll never purchase anything.

You should probably test your current system to make sure it's just the RAM module and not the motherboard RAM slot that is failing. If you're certain it's the RAM module, I'd replace all that you currently have with a 2x8GB DDR3-1600 RAM kit.

Something like this

That, plus your current system should get you through for a while and it's not so much that you couldn't recoup it when selling your current system for a new replacement system in a year or so.

I'm a PC guy, so I won't try to talk about the PS5 or Surface, but I will say when you are ready to replace your PC, save up until you can get the PC you want. If you want an I7, don't get an I3 to tide you over. Just wait until you can afford the system you want and then pull the trigger without hesitation. As I already said, there will ALWAYS be something new just around the corner. There will ALWAYS be buyers remorse.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: eljoantonyn

OllympianGamer

Honorable
Dec 22, 2016
Hi guys !

I have a very old system which is having some issues at the moment. I'm only running with a 4GB ram as the other RAM stick is preventing my system from booting up. So, I'm thinking about getting a new 8GB DDR3 ram to replace it.

I know the current-gen is much better in performance but 2020 has so many promising stuff.
I'm thinking of getting the PS5 and a Microsoft Surface instead of a gaming PC next year. Even if go the gaming PC route, there are the new Intel 10 series and AMD 4000 series of CPUs, Nvidia Ampere and AMD's ray tracing "Nvidia Killer", possible DDR5 RAMs, faster SSDs, etc.

I'm a casual gamer and a mechanical design professional (AutoCAD, Solidworks, Ansys, etc) and I'm perfectly happy with what I have apart from the RAM issue which made my PC very slow. I'm not gonna run the latest games (like Control). I'm currently playing Witcher 3 (modded) and COH 2 next in line. Then I would have the Wolfenstein series: The New Order, The New Colossus, and Young Blood.

Have I missed anything?
16gb dual channel ddr3 is dirt cheap now, would be a good price /performance upgrade for your system and I doubt it will struggle running games at 1080p. Just one thing, if your always waiting to buy the next big thing you will never buy anything at all ;)

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
Hi guys !

Have I missed anything?
Look, your system is very old indeed, BUT that doesn't mean you "have to" upgrade. You said that you are perfectly happy with what you have. So why do you want to upgrade then? Also, the thing about waiting is that some people wait and wait and wait, and eventually they don't buy anything. So my point is, if you don't mind waiting, then wait. If you want to upgrade, then go ahead and do it right now. Also, you mentioned ryzen 4000 cpus. Ryzen 3000 cpus launched in the summer, so I think that thinking about ryzen 4000 is a little exaggerated. Now, as far as your work purposes are concerned, I think that you don't have to wait to buy ddr5 ram or 10th gen intel, to be able to work fluently. I mean, the current market has a lot of options for anyone and a lot of value for money options as well. What is your budget for a potential upgrade? But before upgrading, make sure that you really need it. Otherwise, an upgrade will not offer you anything, apart from better performance. And if you do decide to upgrade, waiting or not is entirely your preference, but as I mentioned, you don't need to have ddr5 ram to enjoy good performance. I hope I was helpful and sorry for my English!

eljoantonyn

Reputable
Aug 15, 2019
Thanks guys for the replies 👍

1. About waiting for an upgrade.
I usually wait and only upgrade when it's absolutely necessary. I upgraded from a AMD 3200 (Clawhammer core!) to my Intel i5 based system.
Since my current system is doing well (sort of), I want to use it as long as I can.

2. Regarding the RAM failure.
I tried changing RAM slots but the problem remains.
I fear I might even have damaged the RAM slots by placing the defective RAM in them!

3. Buyers remorse eh ? Yeah, it would certainly hurt. But as you said, nothing we can do about it!

4. Re. 16GB dual channel RAM.
It's very costly in my country! Might be due to DDR3 ram getting outdated.
I'll try two 8gb x2 bought separately (I'm looking at HyperX 1866 8GB Cl10).

5. Re. options I have currently.
Yes, there are plenty of options! but I'm very much intrigued by the next-gen consoles!
If the rumors are true, we could have a fantastic leap in terms of visual fidelity and would cost much less vs a comparable PC.
Also, Nvidia's Ampere and AMD's ray-tracing GPUs could be worth the wait as my GTX 1060 6GB is good enough for 1080P gaming with the current titles.

Last edited:

eljoantonyn

Reputable
Aug 15, 2019
Ok folks, I have one more question!

Control!

I can't seem to ignore this game. Even my Google feed is full of it!

So, if I get a GTX 2060 or even a GTX 2070, would the processor (i5 4440) bottleneck it ?
I just want to play it with ray-tracing enabled at 1080p.
"Super" cards are very costly here and 2070s sometimes can be had for the same price of a higher end 2060.

eljoantonyn

Reputable
Aug 15, 2019
Sorry for the late reply!

I have ordered two sticks of HyperX DDR3 1866 C10 - 8GB ram as per your recommendations. Now, I'm looking at the processor.

I have seen i7 4770k, i7 4790 and the i7 4790K going for decent rates at AliExpress (ebay shipping costs are very high to my country).
4790 and the 4770K cost the same. But, 4790K is costs 42USD more than the other two.
Is it worth the amount?

Also, should I get an aftermarket cooler as my stock cooler is for the i5 4440 ?

Thanks !