[SOLVED] i5 4440 cooling issue

aabry

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2012
I recently upgraded my system...board, CPU and GPU. GPU Z is what I've used to monitor temps and speeds. After playing iRacing on max settings at roughly 60FPS to 100FPS...one race, 20 laps, about 15 minutes or so, the temp was 93C. Yikes. I watched the temp fall from 93 to low 40s in a matter of minutes, rather sporadically though, temp was bouncing up and down a few Cs but overall was going in the same direction. This concerned me. I removed the cooler and CPU, cleaned and reapplied thermal paste.
After reinstalling, I used CPU Z, there is a stress test option. I did that, and the temp hits 83 rather quickly. I did not run another race to duplicate the scenario. I also did not hear any fan speed increase but maybe its only designed for single speed. I'm considering getting the hyper 212 evo to hopefully address this issue, but I wanted to ask the experts if there is something else I should be looking for? Could I be getting faulty or inaccurate numbers in GPUz and CPUz?

Regarding the GPU, the temp on that was high 60s at its highest, but I've installed a dual fan cooler from a GTX 760 onto the 1060 board which I think helps tremendously.

WildCard999

Titan
Regarding the GPU, the temp on that was high 60s at its highest, but I've installed a dual fan cooler from a GTX 760 onto the 1060 board which I think helps tremendously.
60C is plenty safe for the GPU, technically 94C is the max temp however you'll probably experience thermal throttling way before then, usually around mid 80s. Similar to the CPU you want to keep it under 80C but up to 80C is still considered safe.

WildCard999

Titan
according to hw monitor, CPU reached 100C max during WWII play.
So yeah, your going to need a aftermarket cooler. The stock coolers can last for a bit but the push pins that hold it in place can wear over time and have a poor connection which can lead to bad cooling.

Another option for a cooler would be the Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 which can usually be found for like $20.

aabry

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2012
Understandable. I’m not sure why the temp shoots up and down so quickly though. And 100c, shouldn’t the cpu shut down or wouldn’t I get some stuttering or glitching?

aabry

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2012
For the time being I have utilized the cooler and fan from an AM3 socket and secured it to my board. CPU was 65*C max during WWII gameplay so at least I know the readings are correct and accurate and apparently the stock intel cooler is failing to do the job. I'll invest in an aftermarket cooler. Thanks for the help everyone.