[SOLVED] i5-4440S Can I go over its listed ram speeds?

Mar 11, 2019
I read the data sheet and it says in a field called "Memory types" that it supports : 1333/1600 DDR3 ram. I was thinking of overclocking my HyperX fury 8G stick to 2400. Can I do that? Or would it make the system unstable since the rated speeds are 1600, I don't know if they're the max possible speeds for the CPU.

Mobo : Asus H81M-V3

Last edited:
Solution
I have an Asus H81M-V3 motherboard, would it support ram overclocking?

No, I'm afraid that you can't overclock the RAM with that motherboard. However you aren't missing much since memory overclocking wοn't give you back a large performance boost. Haswell CPUs (like your i5) don't need fast RAM in order to reach the their maximum performance. As long as your RAM is set at 1600, you'll be fine. Having said that there was a case back then where you were able to get more performance from RAM overclocking but that also involved CPU overclocking and as I've already said you can't do any of them with your CPU/motherboard combo. Good luck.
It all depends on your motherboard and it's chipset. If it has a Z87 or Z97 chipset, then you can overclock your RAM as long as it is able to support the higher speeds. If on the other hand it has another chipset, then I'm afraid that memory overclocking isn't supported on your system.

Therefore in order to overclock the RAM you have to have a capable motherboard (with the appropriate chipset) and a capable RAM (over 1600 MHz). Now if you have a motherboard that allows RAM overclocking but you also have a low speed RAM, you can still try to overclock it but stability isn't guaranteed over its rated frequency. Good luck.

Mar 11, 2019
It all depends on your motherboard and it's chipset. If it has a Z87 or Z97 chipset, then you can overclock your RAM as long as it is able to support the higher speeds. If on the other hand it has another chipset, then I'm afraid that memory overclocking isn't supported on your system.

Therefore in order to overclock the RAM you have to have a capable motherboard (with the appropriate chipset) and a capable RAM (over 1600 MHz). Now if you have a motherboard that allows RAM overclocking but you also have a low speed RAM, you can still try to overclock it but stability isn't guaranteed over its rated frequency. Good luck.

No, I'm afraid that you can't overclock the RAM with that motherboard. However you aren't missing much since memory overclocking wοn't give you back a large performance boost. Haswell CPUs (like your i5) don't need fast RAM in order to reach the their maximum performance. As long as your RAM is set at 1600, you'll be fine. Having said that there was a case back then where you were able to get more performance from RAM overclocking but that also involved CPU overclocking and as I've already said you can't do any of them with your CPU/motherboard combo. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Screx
Solution
Mar 11, 2019
No, I'm afraid that you can't overclock the RAM with that motherboard. However you aren't missing much since memory overclocking want give you back a large performance boost. Haswell CPUs (like your i5) don't need fast RAM in order to reach the their maximum performance. As long as your RAM is set at 1600, you'll be fine. Having said that there was a case back then where you were able to get more performance from RAM overclocking but that also involved CPU overclocking and as I've already said you can't do any of them with your CPU/motherboard combo. Good luck.
Thank you