Commendable
Oct 30, 2016
My build now is i5-4460 and gtx 1060 3gb ,8gb ddr3 1600mhz ,z97-p
i want to upgrades cpu so i got 2 choices and budget is around $350
i)sell my cpu,ram, motherboard and get new build with Ryzen 5
ii)sell i5-4460 and get a i7-4790k
Which one should i go for? Many thanks

Solution
For gaming PC the i7-4790k upgrade is the better choice.

Maybe in the future when there is more optimations for RYZEN in gamgin then it will be better but as we sit today the 3 year old i7 is still better.

If you were ok with getting a non k serries i7 then I would suggest looking for a used one (i wouldnt buy a used overclocked CPU with no idea how it was abused). Then you can just put the savings aside towards a full platform upgrade in a couple years
For gaming PC the i7-4790k upgrade is the better choice.

Maybe in the future when there is more optimations for RYZEN in gamgin then it will be better but as we sit today the 3 year old i7 is still better.

If you were ok with getting a non k serries i7 then I would suggest looking for a used one (i wouldnt buy a used overclocked CPU with no idea how it was abused). Then you can just put the savings aside towards a full platform upgrade in a couple years

Solution

+1 i7, but for gaming you will not see a difference. The $300+ would be better spent on video if you are after better framerates at higher quality levels. Or on a new 2K or 4K monitor.

Compare frame rates between the i5 and the i7. At 1080P (assume you use that with gtx 1060) you will have to hunt to find a game where the i5 can't max framerate.