[SOLVED] I5 4460 to i7 4770k

Oct 19, 2020
pc specs:
PSU : TSFX Bronze 80 plus 450W
CPU: Intel i7 4770k 3.5ghz (i5 4460 originally)
Graphics card : AMD Radeon Red devil RX580 8GB
Mobo: MSI H97 G43
RAM: 4x 4GB HyperX Fury
Storage: 120GB SSD & 500GB HDD
Monitor: BenQ Zowie 22inch 144hz LED

I recently snagged a cheap i7 4770k just to beef up my system a bit. However when installing the cpu my pc will not post. The fans spin for a second then stop then nothing. Everything works as it should when i re-install the i5. I troubleshooted all of my parts then when i was thinking i had fried my mobo i decided to try the i5 again and it worked. So what is the issue, i updated my bios to the latest version and still no avail. In my opinion it sounds like a faulty cpu being used it is a possibility and the person assured me it was working upon removal. I have been told i can get a refund but id rather have it work in all honesty. Any ideas?

Solution
go into you bios and make sure you haven't done anything to limit it.

sure sounds like a bad CPU though. better sooner rather than later when requesting a return for refund.

the 4470 is like a quarter generation older than the chip set of your motherboard. I wouldn't think that would be an issue.
looks like both are 84 watt chips, so power supply and cooling shouldn't be issues.

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008

sure sounds like a bad CPU though. better sooner rather than later when requesting a return for refund.

the 4470 is like a quarter generation older than the chip set of your motherboard. I wouldn't think that would be an issue.
looks like both are 84 watt chips, so power supply and cooling shouldn't be issues.

Last edited:
Solution
Oct 19, 2020

What am i supposed to look for exactly in my bios?
Also i think you misread the post, its an i7 4770k not a 4470.