[SOLVED] i5 4460 upgrade

Jan 31, 2019
Hi everyone,

I've recently upgraded my graphics card from a 970 GTX to a 1070 ti which has been great but am now, predictably, casting dubious looks at my processor. I have an i5 4460 at 3.2 GHZ and think, but don't know, that it might need an upgrade.

I principally use for gaming: Total war warhammer 2, Battlefleet G Armada 2, Stellaris and other such strategy games.

Across all of these have noticed stuttering and low FPS etc which I assume? Is down to the CPU although Stellaris is known for end game lag. I don't overclock currently as I'm not really that knowledgeable about it and don't want to mess about with it if I am not 100% on what I am doing...

My question is is it worth upgrading the CPU? Don't have unlimited funds obvs but can spend a bit, £150 maybe bit more. I also don't have any extra cooling etc Have added full pc details below.

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 4 Core(s) (Haswell)

BaseBoard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd

BaseBoard Z97M-DS3H Gigabyte Z97P‐D3 Intel Z97 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard

BaseBoard Version x.x

Graphics EVGA 1070 TI

Hard drive Samsung SSD 860 EVO

Ram 16 gb HyperX HX316C10FW/8 FURY Series 8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz CL10 DIMM
Memory Module

Power supply 600W EVGA 600B, 85% Eff', 80+ Bronze Quiet Power Supply ‐ PSU

Case Corsair Air 240 High airflow micro ATX & mini ITX cube case

I understand that this question has been asked before but when have read through so many of the answers depend on specific system specs I thought I would post myself and give as much info as poss

Hugely appreciate & thanks in advance for any help on this guys :)

Solution
I think its worth it if you get a decent price on a 4790k, the 4770k/90k are the best processors in the galaxy. xD

Jokes aside, I think for the Z97 thats the best you can get before having to change your chipset, the combo with a 1070ti will allow you run everything high rez at 1080p, those processors although old can still handle the 2080 without bottlenecks, specially if you overclock wich is some that you SHOULD do, they're like made for it.

They're still however obsolete tech, if you can get an used one for a good price, go for it, they're sturdy, im using mine for 5 years now and i dont plan changing until intel solves their 10nm problems for good, so give or take about 2 yrs, i think....
I think its worth it if you get a decent price on a 4790k, the 4770k/90k are the best processors in the galaxy. xD

Jokes aside, I think for the Z97 thats the best you can get before having to change your chipset, the combo with a 1070ti will allow you run everything high rez at 1080p, those processors although old can still handle the 2080 without bottlenecks, specially if you overclock wich is some that you SHOULD do, they're like made for it.

They're still however obsolete tech, if you can get an used one for a good price, go for it, they're sturdy, im using mine for 5 years now and i dont plan changing until intel solves their 10nm problems for good, so give or take about 2 yrs, i think....

Solution
As mentioned above you can get 4790K (I just sold mine for 185$ 2 days ago) for a decent price.
If your budget its tight you could consider getting an i7-4770K or a i7-4770 the performance is close though no overclocking possible with that cpu.

if you cannot get a good deal for a 4790K (under 200$) you may also consider a i5-4590K and over clock the snot out of it.
vImJnuZ.png
onq0UMi.png

I'm sure he can squeeze 4.2ghz right off the bat without doing anything whatsoever, those haswells are that good, shouldnt put much pressure even on such old mobo regulators

I'm sure he can squeeze 4.2ghz right off the bat without doing anything whatsoever, those haswells are that good, shouldnt put much pressure even on such old mobo regulators
Considering a 4790K turbo goes to 4.4Ghz, Overclocking would be much higher than that. I use to run mine at 4.7Ghz @ 1.29v without sweating, but in my 5th year of owning my ASUS Z87 Gryphon board... it died... as the board ages its likely to be the one failing not the cpu.

rookieGamer

Honorable
May 16, 2017
not really. not right now.
you CPU is old but not that old which need immediate upgrade. you can easily use it for 2-3 years without any major issues then go for whole system not just cpu but CPU+motherboard+Ram

also new 10nm from intel and 7nm from AMD chips will be launched by the end of this year or Q1 2020 and i think they are worth the wait.

i dont think even getting unlocked used chip is worth at this stage
but if your pocket allows it go for it..
for now you can tone down settings a little low can get stable FPS

Jan 31, 2019
Thanks so much guys really appreciate the input. Going to keep an eye on the prices of 4790K etc and see if game stuttering pisses me off enough to push a snap credit card purchase :D

Otherwise I'll hold on and just redo whole pc and keep the 1070 ti.

Got a projector setup so max is 1080p atm until the 4k ones stop being ridic expensive Although I am managing to play Battlefleet gothic 2 on highest settings 3840x2160 DSR (whatever that means) which it says enhances image quality? In any case is running pretty smooth. I think TWW2 and Stellaris are just complete juggernauts...