i5 4460 vs i5 7500

david.cluett

Prominent
Oct 27, 2017
So a little bit of a background. I want to be able to stream newer pc games like Quake champions. I have a i5 4460 3.2ghz. And a mother board that may need swapping to. I currently am running a Geforce 960 at 4gb. Anyways the issue I think im having is that while streaming games like quake, it slows down to unplayable levels even in its lowest setting. I have 12gb ddr3 ram. so before I spend the money i want to make sure it is what I need.

The 7500 has a 19% performance rating over the 4460. Generally better but seems very small margin wise.

Looking for reccommendations. thanks.

Solution
If you go to a newer processor, you will need a new motherboard, processor, and ram. What is your current budget? The i7 4790k offers a significant upgrade over the 4460, and would work with everything else on your current system, so it may be worth looking into just getting the new processor vs an entire system upgrade.
If you go to a newer processor, you will need a new motherboard, processor, and ram. What is your current budget? The i7 4790k offers a significant upgrade over the 4460, and would work with everything else on your current system, so it may be worth looking into just getting the new processor vs an entire system upgrade.

Solution
You certainly wouldn't want to consider swapping from an haswell i5 to a kaby lake i5 , there would be virtually no difference & you're looking at new board & ram aswell.

The new coffee lake i3 8100 is as fast (faster in fact) that an i5 7500 & is around 2/3 of the price.

You then have ryzen , the 1400/1500x/1600x are all hyper threaded which helps immensely with streaming.

That said , you should just be considering an i7 on your current board , 4770 or 4790.