i5-450m to i7-640m

Just found out my circa 2010 Dell laptop has a PGA socketed chip, and that got me thinking.

The i5-450m in my laptop currently has around a 960 single thread/2145 passmark score. It currently has a SSD and 8 GB RAM, but it is getting a bit long in the tooth when doing general web/multi-tab surfing. Facebook threads are fairly slow to load, as are iTunes app updates.

If I could get an i7-640m (also 35W TDP - shouldn't overheat on the same cooler, 2 core HT chip just like the i5 - I think it SHOULD work in the motherboard) off Ebay for ~$40, would it invigorate a bit of life into this old laptop? 1302 single-threaded/2878 multi-threaded score - actually doesn't seem to be too far from most Ivy/Sandy Bridge and lower-power laptop chips like the Core M models today.

Would I be able to tell a very noticeable difference in web surfing/multitasking between these chips?

iceblitzed

Distinguished
Id would do these things before thinking about changing the chip:

If you haven't optimized your ssd, Id look at this guide - http://www.thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-ultimate-windows-8-edition/

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
No I don't think you'll see a big difference surfing and multitasking. For a speed boost that will be very noticeable in everyday tasks you could get an SSD. Something like a 120GB or 256GB Samsung 850 EVO or Crucial BX100 (both of these are decent quality and inexpensive) would be a very noticeable upgrade for surfing and work tasks and make everything load faster.

Already done. SSD isn't bottlenecking the system whatsoever. Not held back by background processes either, which are kept to a minimum. It's the CPU that is for sure being the bottleneck - shoots to 75-100% usage pretty frequently on a couple commonly loaded web pages and apps these days.

Finally did this. Not as fast as my Broadwell/SSD work laptop, but it made quite a noticeable improvement to the computer's overall responsiveness. I believe the higher clock speed and turbo boost (2.6 vs 3.4) are making most of the difference - I no longer see the CPU usage pegged at 100% when opening a tab or two in Chrome.

iceblitzed

Distinguished

Was wondering how hard it was to physically replace cpu. Would seem impossible with my skills.

I was lucky enough to find the service manual for my laptop which shows how it comes apart. The keyboard, lid, and then entire motherboard has to come out - the CPU is on the bottom. Not horrible (I love working on my old cars and bikes on the side), but about an hour and a half of work to get it apart and all back together.

TRENDING THREADS