[SOLVED] i5-4570 & GTX 1650 Super

Jan 11, 2020
Hello!

I am currently really confused. I've recently upgraded my GPU from an R7 240 to a Asus Phoenix GTX 1650 Super (paired with an i5-4570). I was wondering if the 2 are a bottleneck?

For example, in a simple game like Minecraft, the GTX 1650S doesn't reach full utilization even with an unlimited FPS cap & V-Sync off. My CPU sits at about 40 % all the time. And Minecraft is a more CPU-dependant game but once I go to install Shaders it should use the GPU more right? But the GPU still doesn't go to 100 % but is at about 20 % giving me 40 FPS with max. settings on a multi-player server where there are a lot of players. The CPU is still at 40 %. (Same for a survival world).

But then I got confused as I ran a GPU benchmark and the GPU easily reached 100 % giving me 200 + FPS (on max. settings (Heaven Benchmark 4.0)) and the CPU never went over 50 %. So does that mean the GPU isn't being bottlenecked by the CPU?

And the GTX 1650S is set as my default GPU and the system IS using it. (Like if I watch an 8K video on Youtube the GPU will go to 80 % utilization to push the 60 FPS). But in games it seems like it just doesn't care to go to 100 % utilization.

Specs:
CPU: Intel i5-4570 @ 3.6 GHz
CPU Cooler: Stock cooler
Motherboard: Asus Z87M-Plus
RAM: 1x Corsair (don't know the model) DDR3 - 1600MHz & 1x Crucial (don't know the model) DDR3 - 1600MHz
GPU: Asus Phoenix Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 Super (OC Edition)
PSU: Kolink Core 600W (KL-C600)

Thanks in advance.

Solution
For example, in a simple game like Minecraft, the GTX 1650S doesn't reach full utilization even with an unlimited FPS cap & V-Sync off. My CPU sits at about 40 % all the time. And Minecraft is a more CPU-dependant game but once I go to install Shaders it should use the GPU more right? But the GPU still doesn't go to 100 % but is at about 20 % giving me 40 FPS with max. settings on a multi-player server where there are a lot of players. The CPU is still at 40 %. (Same for a survival world).
As far as I know, Minecraft Java Edition is still heavily reliant on a single fast CPU core. Increasing graphics settings won't affect much except if you increase resolution, but increasing the render distance past 12 chunks will...
As far as I know, Minecraft Java Edition is still heavily reliant on a single fast CPU core. Increasing graphics settings won't affect much except if you increase resolution, but increasing the render distance past 12 chunks will require far more CPU and possibly an SSD. You are usually better off leaving the view range at the around 8-12 chunks when running shaders or even without shaders.

The only other real solution in your case, other than reducing render distance, is to get a CPU with higher speed cores like an i5 4670/4690K or the better long term solution of an i7-4770/4790K if you want to keep using your system. Ultimately you would be better off saving for a whole new system with a better CPU than an i7-4790K.

Solution

SlavfromBulgaria

Commendable
Apr 29, 2020
Hello!

I am currently really confused. I've recently upgraded my GPU from an R7 240 to a Asus Phoenix GTX 1650 Super (paired with an i5-4570). I was wondering if the 2 are a bottleneck?

But then I got confused as I ran a GPU benchmark and the GPU easily reached 100 % giving me 200 + FPS (on max. settings (Heaven Benchmark 4.0)) and the CPU never went over 50 %. So does that mean the GPU isn't being bottlenecked by the CPU?

And the GTX 1650S is set as my default GPU and the system IS using it. (Like if I watch an 8K video on Youtube the GPU will go to 80 % utilization to push the 60 FPS). But in games it seems like it just doesn't care to go to 100 % utilization.

Specs:
CPU: Intel i5-4570 @ 3.6 GHz
CPU Cooler: Stock cooler
Motherboard: Asus Z87M-Plus
RAM: 1x Corsair (don't know the model) DDR3 - 1600MHz & 1x Crucial (don't know the model) DDR3 - 1600MHz
GPU: Asus Phoenix Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 Super (OC Edition)
PSU: Kolink Core 600W (KL-C600)

Thanks in advance.
Hello!
Yes, ThirdEye is right, Minecraft is a CPU-intensive title (especially single core performance) and it won't push your GPU much unless you are using a shadows mod. If you are using MSI Afterburner to monitor your resource usage, it's not exactly correct all the time. I have an i5-3470 paired with an RX 570 and it doesn't bottleneck, so I don't think you have a bottleneck, since your i5-4570 is a bit better than mine. MSI Afterburner has an issue and it's not been very optimised lately, especially with the newer GPU's. My RX 570 in some games is going through all percents, from 0% usage, to 100%, then 70%, and just like that through out the whole gaming session with MSI Afterburner, but I open HWMonitor and the GPU usage doesn't drop below 99% (yes, AMD drivers don't like MSI Afterburner at times). In some games, you could experience a CPU bottleneck for sure and then your GPU usage might go down, so if you are, an upgrade to an i7-4770/i7-4790K would be necessery to eliminate CPU bottleneck.
Hope I helped.

Jan 11, 2020
Hello!
Yes, ThirdEye is right, Minecraft is a CPU-intensive title (especially single core performance) and it won't push your GPU much unless you are using a shadows mod. If you are using MSI Afterburner to monitor your resource usage, it's not exactly correct all the time. I have an i5-3470 paired with an RX 570 and it doesn't bottleneck, so I don't think you have a bottleneck, since your i5-4570 is a bit better than mine. MSI Afterburner has an issue and it's not been very optimised lately, especially with the newer GPU's. My RX 570 in some games is going through all percents, from 0% usage, to 100%, then 70%, and just like that through out the whole gaming session with MSI Afterburner, but I open HWMonitor and the GPU usage doesn't drop below 99% (yes, AMD drivers don't like MSI Afterburner at times). In some games, you could experience a CPU bottleneck for sure and then your GPU usage might go down, so if you are, an upgrade to an i7-4770/i7-4790K would be necessery to eliminate CPU bottleneck.
Hope I helped.

Hi.

Thank to both of you. I don't see it as a big bottleneck either. Other games work rather fine (except GTA V which is also CPU-intensive (but it still runs smooth on max. settings but my GPU is just doing pretty much nothing)). I just wanted to know if it's a bottleneck and from watching many videos, other discussions, your replies and my own experiences I don't see it as a big bottleneck. Unfortunately, I can't upgrade anything currently because that was my entire budget currently but the next upgrade will defenitely be the CPU.

I'll make sure to lower the chunk distance (it was at 30). I am just a lucky person hehe - I upgrade my GPU and then want to play games that don't really require a good GPU. Oh well.

Thank you for your help!

Reactions: SlavfromBulgaria

TRENDING THREADS