i5 4570 SpeedFan Core temps low but CPU temp over 120C?

MoFro343

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013
I'm using SpeedFan and it says the Cores are all below 30C but the CPU is at 120-130C. Why the discrepancy and how do I lower the CPU temperature being measured?

Solution
MoFro343,

4th Generation Core i processors do not have a "CPU" temperature sensor. The last processors to have the old analog thermal sensor under the Die was 1st Generation Core i Socket 1366.

SpeedFan, as well as other utilities, don't always correctly label the various sensors, which is not at all unusual. Regardless, the hottest temperatures are at the heat sources near the transistor junction within each of the Cores, where Digital Thermal Sensors (DTS) measure "Core" temperatures.

Throttle temperature for your i5 4570 is 100°C, at which point the processor will automatically reduce Core speed and voltage to safeguard against thermal damage. At 130°C the processor will automatically shut down.

There is no sensor anywhere...

Lipex33

Commendable
May 11, 2017
Check your cooler first and see if it spins and check if is put properly on the holes, if is all ok try changing your thermal paste. Are u having a stock intel 1150 cooler?

CompuTronix

Intel Master
MoFro343,

4th Generation Core i processors do not have a "CPU" temperature sensor. The last processors to have the old analog thermal sensor under the Die was 1st Generation Core i Socket 1366.

SpeedFan, as well as other utilities, don't always correctly label the various sensors, which is not at all unusual. Regardless, the hottest temperatures are at the heat sources near the transistor junction within each of the Cores, where Digital Thermal Sensors (DTS) measure "Core" temperatures.

Throttle temperature for your i5 4570 is 100°C, at which point the processor will automatically reduce Core speed and voltage to safeguard against thermal damage. At 130°C the processor will automatically shut down.

There is no sensor anywhere in your system which is accurately measuring temperatures on any devices at 120°C to 130°C. Your "CPU" temperature is just an erroneous input from a faulty sensor, most likely on the motherboard, so there's nothing to be concerned about.

You can cross-check SpeedFan with Hardware Info, which will give you very detailed information: https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

If you'd like to learn more, then read this: Intel Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

CT :sol:

Solution

TRENDING THREADS