[SOLVED] i5-4590 vs i5-6500 benchmarks

• Thread starter Deleted member 2849646
  • Start date
Solution
The biggest difference between the two is that the 6500 uses DDR4 RAM, where the 4590 uses DDR3. That alone should be reason enough to go with the 6500, since you'll be installing it to a newer motherboard with a newer chipset. Actual performance should slightly favor the 6500, in most cases. It's the same situation with the i7's from the same generations.

At this point, if you're looking to buy a used PC, that generation is so old that with a little searching, you can probably find at least one person selling an i7-6700 system for the same money as most others are asking for an i5-6500 system. The 6500 is only 4 cores/4threads, which is going to feel slower and slower as time goes on. The i7-6700 will be less agonizing to use in a...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
D

Deleted member 2849646

They should be pretty close in gaming, if that matters... (userbenchmarks' ratings mean almost infinitely less)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRcyMW0hfNE

(The above linked gaming comparisons showed the i5-6400 having a slight lead despite it's 100 MHz peak clock speed deficit)

So, question is, is newer better in this case, or not? Seems to me the i5 is better value for money as you get more bang for your buck and performance is almost on par with the 6500!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SamirD

rakibfahadgts

Reputable
Aug 4, 2018
So, question is, is newer better in this case, or not? Seems to me the i5 is better value for money as you get more bang for your buck and performance is almost on part with the 6500!
Yep, and the craziest part to me is how the 6500 can use ddr3 or ddr4, but even ddr4 is limited to the same speeds you could get with ddr3--which the 4590/4790k can achieve with higher performance ddr3 modules...and of course you could also get these used possibly cheaper.

Joseph_138

Distinguished
The biggest difference between the two is that the 6500 uses DDR4 RAM, where the 4590 uses DDR3. That alone should be reason enough to go with the 6500, since you'll be installing it to a newer motherboard with a newer chipset. Actual performance should slightly favor the 6500, in most cases. It's the same situation with the i7's from the same generations.

At this point, if you're looking to buy a used PC, that generation is so old that with a little searching, you can probably find at least one person selling an i7-6700 system for the same money as most others are asking for an i5-6500 system. The 6500 is only 4 cores/4threads, which is going to feel slower and slower as time goes on. The i7-6700 will be less agonizing to use in a few years.

Last edited:
Solution
The biggest difference between the two is that the 6500 uses DDR4 RAM, where the 4590 uses DDR3. That alone should be reason enough to go with the 6500, since you'll be installing it to a newer motherboard with a newer chipset.
This is what I was originally thinking until I researched it and found that the 6500 is limited to the same ram speeds as is available in DDR3, so no advantage versus the 4790k and no advantage to move that ram over to a newer DDR4 motherboard since the ram would be 'slow' for a newer setup.