i5 4670k and GTX 970, time to upgrade ?

Oct 26, 2018
Hello all,

I have for a while now my main rig :

Asus Z87 Plus
i5 4670k
Asus Strix GTX 970
8GB DDR3 2133Mhz memory

I play 1080p - 60 hz display, and I am playing mostly new games, more AAA games.

The question is , as i don't have enough money now to upgrade everything, what upgrade should return best for now ?
Should I upgrade first my CPU to i5 9600k and DDR4, or I should upgrade my GPU first RTX 2070.

Thanks

Solution
If you only play at 1080p 60Hz, then I don't think you need to upgrade anything. Maybe try to snipe an extra 8GB of RAM off ebay or something, but other than that there aren't any problems with your rig. RTX 2070 is a ripoff especially when new 1070 tis are going for under $400 and are almost as fast.
If you only play at 1080p 60Hz, then I don't think you need to upgrade anything. Maybe try to snipe an extra 8GB of RAM off ebay or something, but other than that there aren't any problems with your rig. RTX 2070 is a ripoff especially when new 1070 tis are going for under $400 and are almost as fast.

Solution
agreed, there isn't much difference between a GPU like the 1070 TI and the newer 2070 on your aging hardware. a GPU upgrade would be best because your only option on that hardware is to upgrade to a 4th gen (maybe 5th) i7 which will not have any noticeable improvement in games.

If you are going to stay Intel I wouldn't upgrade my CPU and motherboard until the shortage on the Intel CPUs ends or you'll be paying way to much for your CPU. If you are going AMD no real issue there. As the new RX series goes I think it would be good to wait for the board partners to release their versions. They are usually better priced and have some nice features. So I'd wait and keep saving up for when things improve in the channel.

TRENDING THREADS