[SOLVED] i5-4670k time to upgrade?

dempy19

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2013
Hello fellow tech dudes and dudettes!

I am currently running an i5-4670k in my rig (full specs seen in my signature) and am looking to see if it's time to upgrade?

I'm playing all games at 1440p (which is what I mostly do on this pc) and as for other tasks I don't do any video editing but I do transfer large files to and from different drives and overall just want super fast and snappy processing. (I hate when it takes forever to load up thumbnails for pictures or videos)

Any suggestions would be great, I don't care about pricing too much as I just want to have an up to date and efficient pc. If there's no reason for upgrade then I'm ok with that too!

Thank you!

Solution
How much are you willing to spend?
What games do you play or want to play?
How many fps is acceptable to you?

The cheapest option is to get a i7 4770K or 4790K (you may need to update the bios)
upgrading to newer cpus will require new motherboard and RAM

according to this a 4core i5 is able to spit out 50+fps in Shadow of the tomb raider at the highest settings with gtx 1060 at 1080p
https://www.pcgamesn.com/shadow-of-the-tomb-raider/shadow-of-the-tomb-raider-pc-graphics-performance
it's a 6600k at 3.5ghz which should be similar to your cpu at 4ghz
I would imagine gtx 1080 at 1440p should give you slightly more while being somewhat less cpu demanding
and that is a game that recommends you to have a i7 4770
It depends on what games you play but generally there is a trend of AAA titles starting to use more cores/threads now. So you might want an i7 to be on the safe side. A 4790K would be a good drop in upgrade if you want to keep your current system for some reason. The i7 8700K would be a great upgrade if you want an entire new system. Though if you can hold out for Zen 2 I'd do that. Right now AMD is very close to intel in ipc and a 13% bump would firmly put them in the lead plus there's the possibility of more cores and higher clocks. It's going to be an exciting time for people wanting a new CPU.

How much are you willing to spend?
What games do you play or want to play?
How many fps is acceptable to you?

The cheapest option is to get a i7 4770K or 4790K (you may need to update the bios)
upgrading to newer cpus will require new motherboard and RAM

according to this a 4core i5 is able to spit out 50+fps in Shadow of the tomb raider at the highest settings with gtx 1060 at 1080p
https://www.pcgamesn.com/shadow-of-the-tomb-raider/shadow-of-the-tomb-raider-pc-graphics-performance
it's a 6600k at 3.5ghz which should be similar to your cpu at 4ghz
I would imagine gtx 1080 at 1440p should give you slightly more while being somewhat less cpu demanding
and that is a game that recommends you to have a i7 4770

Solution