Question i5 4670k voltage

Subatago

Prominent
Mar 15, 2019
Hi,

I've overclocked my i5 4670k to 4.4GHz (stable) and it's currently at 1.28 V (in BIOS, CPU-Z shows 1.296 V)

I'm wondering what the Voltage limit is, i'm trying to get to 4.6GHz but don't know wether or not 1.30+ is safe (since my bios displays it in red after 1.30 V)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i don't remember what others were able to get from that cpu. it's been a while.

look for some reviews of it from back in the day and they should give you an idea what voltage they were able to use. of course every cpu is different and your results will vary, but at least you can get an idea what to expect. basically you can up it until it won't boot or stay stable for you, then back it off. or if you add voltage and can't get any more mhz out of it, then back off. no need to run at 1.3 if 1.28 will get the same mhz stable

of course your mobo will effect the results as will cooling available so your not bouncing off thermal limits the whole time.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
What motherboard?

CPU temps? You can push past 1.3v if you can keep the CPU cool. The earlier haswell chips like the 4670k tended to start getting quite hot around 1.3v from what I remember haswell refresh chips like the 4690k helped this a bit.

From what I can find 4.4ghz is a good OC for that chip, it may not do 4.6ghz stable at 1.3v unless you got a lucky chip.

Subatago

Prominent
Mar 15, 2019
What motherboard?

CPU temps? You can push past 1.3v if you can keep the CPU cool. The earlier haswell chips like the 4670k tended to start getting quite hot around 1.3v from what I remember haswell refresh chips like the 4690k helped this a bit.

From what I can find 4.4ghz is a good OC for that chip, it may not do 4.6ghz stable at 1.3v unless you got a lucky chip.

Motherboard is MSI z87-g45

It's currently running at 60-64°C MAX, I'll play around with small changes then and see where i'll get