i5 4670k vs FX 8320 torn between the 2 builds. Advice needed pls!

nonleague

Reputable
May 31, 2014
So I am going to be building a new system and really cannot decide which to go for. I will be wanting to play some gaming (fm2014/15) and perhaps something like BF4 but the main focus will be the ability to play many poker tables at one time utilizing 2 monitors and having firefox and office running at the same time whilst streaming video.

I have made a list of the 2 builds and would like advice on which you think would be most suitable for me for what I am wanting it to do or perhaps any ideas of what might be better for me for around the same price.

I would also like to add that I am wanting this build to last at least 3-4 years so overclocking needs to be factored in as well. I am clueless as to which of these two CPU's would be the best for overclocking.

System One

• CPU: i54670k
    M/Board: MSI Z97 PC Mate socket LGA1150 VGA DVI HDMI 8-channel audio ATX Motherboard
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb (2 X 4gb) Memory Kit Pc3-17066 2133mhz
    PSU: Cooler Master G-Series G500W 12V 80 Plus Power Supply - Bronze/Cooler Master B-Series B500W
    Case: Cooler Master N-Series N300 - USB 3.0 ATX Case
    Cooler: Should I buy one or is the packaged one fine if it's not overclocked by much?
    DVD Drive: Samsung 24x

Total: £383.68

System Two

• CPU: AMD FX-3820
    M/Board: ASUS M5A97 EVO R2.0, AMD, Socket AM3+, 970, 90-MIBJJ0-G0EAY0MZ
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb (2 X 4gb) Memory Kit Pc3-17066 2133mhz
    PSU: Cooler Master G-Series G500W 12V 80 Plus Power Supply - Bronze/Cooler Master B-Series B500W (Is this powerful enough for when the AMD is overclocked?)
    Case: Cooler Master N-Series N300 - USB 3.0 ATX Case
    Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper T4 Intel and Amd Socket Heatpipe Cooling Fan (this costs £22 so if you think something better is needed please say and roughly it's price)
    DVD Drive: Samsung 24x
    GPU: Unsure what graphic card to buy but don't want to spend anymore than say £60 max.

Total: £341.64

Your advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

nonleague

Reputable
May 31, 2014

How much would the 212 evo cost and are you suggesting that for the AMD build or the i5 build?

The i5 already can cope with some games can it not?

it looks to me like you're asking if an i5 can game bf4 on it's igpu... to which i'd say ABSOLUTELY NOT; do not use the igpu on any intel for gaming... the hardware is ok, the drivers are crap. you will really suffer trying to do this.

back the cpu on the AMD build down to an FX6300, drop that god awful coolermaster psu... the g-series is only good for starting fires in your house... go with a corsair or xfx or pc power and cooling or seasonic psu, with the money saved by dropping the 8 core fx for the 6 core, get yourself an r7-250x or HD 7770, and game on nice modest settings.

nonleague

Reputable
May 31, 2014

What card would you suggest? I was looking to spend around £60 max for a card (would this be enough?)

Point taken. Would the general cpu be fine for now to run FM2014?

If I were to go for the FX6300 what would I be able to overclock it too? What difference is there between the two?

Regarding the graphics card, how much would that set me back and do you think I'm better of going with the AMD as opposed the i5 for what I am wanting?

For heavy multitasking, buy a 16gb ram kit.

For fast actiongaming, focus on the discrete graphics card.

Not knowing how cpu intensive your poker app is, I might guess that a much less expensive cpu would serve you well enough.

I might suggest a i5-4460 and a Z97 based motherboard.
Plan on using the integrated graphics and see how far that takes you.
Use a stronger than needed 600-650w psu.
Coolermaster PSU quality is iffy, pick a tier 2 unit from this list:
http://community.newegg.com/eggxpert/computer_hardware/f/135081/t/45344.aspx

If you want fast action games at high resolutions, then
Most likely you will need to add a discrete graphics card.
A 600w psu can run even the strongest of single gpu cards if necessary.

nonleague

Reputable
May 31, 2014

If I am using two monitors, one for video streaming and firefox whilst the other is for using a poker app playing quite a few tables, would 8GB not be sufficient enough?

nonleague

Reputable
May 31, 2014
Was just looking on Intels website and it looks as though the i5 4670k does not support 2133Mhz DDR3. The max showing is 1600Mhz, is this correct? If this is true then would I not be better going with the FX build?

Also, which of the two would be better for using dual monitors?

nonleague

Reputable
May 31, 2014

I'm wanting it for playing poker and live streaming at the same time. The poker app I use seems to eat it's way through my Intel dual-core 3Ghz, 8gb ram DDR 1333Mhz and if I start to use my 2nd monitor it just grinds to a virtual halt.

So I am wanting a machine that will basically allow me to video stream, whilst playing poker and having 2 monitors running at the same time with no problems.

Is this without a dedicated gfx card?

That may be all that you need!

Yogi