Ramzyy

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2016
Hi guys, I'm looking to upgrade my cpu to the i7-4790K but I'm not sure if its worth it and if I'm going to see a big difference in Gaming.

Current PC Specs:
Cpu: I5-4670k
GPU: Dual Gtx 1060 6gb
Mobo: msi z87-gd65 gaming
RAM: 16gb corsair vengeance
PSU: Corsair CX 750M

Solution
You do realize the 4670k and 4790k are essentially the same cpu, some minor clock changes (OC?) and hyperthreading.

That's it's only real bonus. For any game that's 4 threads or lower, you'll be getting the same fps±. It's only on games that use 5 or more threads, like gta5 / Witcher 3 or open world mmorpgs like WoW or WoT that you'll see any difference as the cpu isn't backlogged by uber high usage that can reach 100%.

Upgrade to i7? Maybe, if the price was cheap enough and I planned on 2-3 more years of use, but with short term plans on going for a Ryzen platform, it's a waste of money for a few fps. Call it the Incentive Plan, sooner you save up, sooner you get what you really want, not the Band-Aid fix.

Just to...
You will get almost a 50% jump is CPU speed....but....

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-4670K+@+3.40GHz&id=1921

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-4790K+@+4.00GHz&id=2275

I think your 4670 should be able to handle the 1060 pretty fine.....so I don't think you are going to see a big jump in gaming performance.

I think you will see some.....but nothing close to 50%.

However.....the 1060 is about as high as I'd go with the 4670.

With the 4790 you could up the GPU quite a bit more than the 1060 and get a lot of improvement.

The cooler and psu should be enough, and yes you will see some improvement.

Maybe not such a huge Max FPS bump (specially if youre overclocking your Core i5), but you will notice a decent impact on AVG FPS, and a big impact on the smoothness of the gameplay. Thats because the i7 will have more resources to deal with the request from the GPU and will be able to answer faster, so you should see better avg, and much better 1% and .1 Low (FPS).

Core i5: Base/Boost 3.4GHz/3.8GHz - 4 cores/4 threads - Cache L3: 6MB
Core i7: Base/Boost 4GHz/4.4GHz - 4 cores/8 threads - Cache L3: 8MB

But as someone pointed out already, today a 4 core / 8 threads CPU may not be a good investment, even worst if you plan on getting the newer games out there. For that a CPU with atleast 6 cores /12 threads should be the min you will want (Examples: Ryzen 5 3600 / Core i7 8700K). Unless of course, you can spend the premium of getting the real beast, the best cpu for gaming today: Core i9 9900K.

(personal opinion: avoid the 9900KS, is intel's last bad joke to consumers, I woulnt spend my money on it).

Last edited:
Personally I think the 4790k has aged very well, but the market knows it, so don't expect to find one for cheap. The other nice part about the 4790k, beyond the speed boost, is the fact that your existing hardware can stay the same (another reason for the relatively high dollar on these).

Reactions: RodroX
No way would I buy a 4790k now. It's too expensive for what it is. Ride it out with the i5 until you can buy at least a Ryzen 5 2600. Besides there won't be much to gain anyway with a GTX 1060 driving the gaming performance. Get a better CPU if you plan on upgrading the graphics card though.

razvan_mz

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Hi guys, I'm looking to upgrade my cpu to the i7-4790K but I'm not sure if its worth it and if I'm going to see a big difference in Gaming.

Current PC Specs:
Cpu: I5-4670k
GPU: Dual Gtx 1060 6gb
Mobo: msi z87-gd65 gaming
RAM: 16gb corsair vengeance
PSU: Corsair CX 750M
don't waste your money on that platform, you can feel its age now. it's not worthy of the upgrade. start saving for something new, like a Ryzen 5 3600/i5 9400 and up.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You do realize the 4670k and 4790k are essentially the same cpu, some minor clock changes (OC?) and hyperthreading.

That's it's only real bonus. For any game that's 4 threads or lower, you'll be getting the same fps±. It's only on games that use 5 or more threads, like gta5 / Witcher 3 or open world mmorpgs like WoW or WoT that you'll see any difference as the cpu isn't backlogged by uber high usage that can reach 100%.

Upgrade to i7? Maybe, if the price was cheap enough and I planned on 2-3 more years of use, but with short term plans on going for a Ryzen platform, it's a waste of money for a few fps. Call it the Incentive Plan, sooner you save up, sooner you get what you really want, not the Band-Aid fix.

Just to throw a wrench in the works.

Reactions: Ramzyy
Solution