[SOLVED] i5 4670k with GTX 1080 in 2020-will it be enough?

ChrisRedfiedl

Prominent
Sep 18, 2019
Hello everybody,

I would like to hear your opinion about my CPU and GPU.
I have i5 4670k and GTX 1080 in my PC,and while I know that there is obviously some bottleneck,I would like to know will that pair be good enough for newer games like Cyberpunk 2077?
I'm planning to buy new CPU,MBO and RAM at the beginning of next year,however that's still half year away.
I tried to OC my CPU,but I only got worse results at benchmark than running it on stock.
Some games are still running well,but in almost any newer game (and by newer I mean 2015 and up) I keep getting microstuttering and FPS dips.
It's really irritating and I don't know what to do.
I have 4K monitor,but I play newer games on 1440p,never on 1080p.

So,my questions are:
1.Will my CPU be enough for games like Cyberpunk in 1440p?
2.Is there ANY way for me to get rid of dips and stuttering?

Solution
Resolution has no bearing on fps. The cpu puts out whatever it puts out, and thats your stuttering issue. With a quad core cpu in many newer games, even some older games, you'll be hitting 100% usage. That means the cpu has Zero room for any movement so when something really heavy like the gazillion particles in an explosion need placing, fps hits the toilet. It's in those cases where the i7-4790k is far stronger, the extra thread space carrying more data in the same bandwidth.

Those whom claim bottleneck are full of it. Clueless. A cpu cannot slow the flow of data down, it's the source. It puts out whatever it puts out. And it certainly does not slow down any gpu, which will paint the picture according to detail levels and resolution...
Will my CPU be enough for games like Cyberpunk in 1440p
No I don't think so. Your CPU will be bottle necking you too much to handle that game in 1440p at a playable FPS.
Is there ANY way for me to get rid of dips and stuttering
Upgrade to a 9th gen CPU. With that of course you'll need a new MOBO and RAM.

Also an RTX card might be a better option for 1440p gaming. At least an RTX 2070 Super.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Resolution has no bearing on fps. The cpu puts out whatever it puts out, and thats your stuttering issue. With a quad core cpu in many newer games, even some older games, you'll be hitting 100% usage. That means the cpu has Zero room for any movement so when something really heavy like the gazillion particles in an explosion need placing, fps hits the toilet. It's in those cases where the i7-4790k is far stronger, the extra thread space carrying more data in the same bandwidth.

Those whom claim bottleneck are full of it. Clueless. A cpu cannot slow the flow of data down, it's the source. It puts out whatever it puts out. And it certainly does not slow down any gpu, which will paint the picture according to detail levels and resolution and post processing affects as best as it can. Fps output will change with every game, some are more demanding than others. Run minecraft on a 2080ti @ 4k and get 150fps, turn on Ray tracing and that drops to @ 50fps, which is easy enough on the cpu that even an i3 wouldn't struggle.

1440p is @ 1.7x as many pixels as 1080p, far more challenging for even a 1080 to handle, many games at ultra will not see 60fps on screen, even if the cpu is capable and supplies 100fps.

So will it 'bottleneck'? Yes and no. Some games it'll not be as capable as the gpu, other games it'll be more capable than the gpu. Depends entirely on the game. Just like any other mid range combo. The fact that it's a quad and has slightly lower IPC just means more games will be off center and the gpu slightly more capable.

Might want to actually check out the link @altVortex posted, most of those games the i5 suffered a 20fps or less loss vrs a 9700k. Yep, massive bottleneck there. Almost every single game listed is easily playable.

Last edited:
Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ahh, magic words those, 'with some in my opinion'. That's going to vastly differ from person to person. Some just happy being able to play, others aren't happy unless a benchmark tells them they are at 200% or better than what the monitor refresh is.

Ahh, magic words those, 'with some in my opinion'. That's going to vastly differ from person to person. Some just happy being able to play, others aren't happy unless a benchmark tells them they are at 200% or better than what the monitor refresh is.
Yeap, which is why I said it. To me the experience is frustrating and not enjoyable. Gears 5 multiplayer for example struggles to average 45fps with drops under 30. The cpu is pinned at 100% constantly and this is with it OC’d to 4.3GHz.

InvalidError

Titan
Ahh, magic words those, 'with some in my opinion'. That's going to vastly differ from person to person.
Yup. Still using an i5-3470. Struggling a bit in some games but not enough that I can be bothered with upgrading yet. I would have been tempted to upgrade to a 3600 last year had B550 launched along with Zen 2 but B550 is arriving so late that I'll be holding off for Zen 3, especially now that the 3300X has demonstrated how detrimental multi-CCX can be to Zen's performance.