[SOLVED] i5-4690 ≤ i7-4790K?

cylindricpanda

Prominent
Apr 14, 2020
I've got a 6yo prebuilt that I've put a gtx 1660ti into and it's run most of what I've wanted it to, but I've noticed it starting to chug with some more recent games with everything turned up. I'm fine with not having the bleeding edge, I just want it to run @ 1080p around 60fps.
I was thinking of getting a new mobo eventually for some sweet M,2 action and I'd obviously have to get a new CPU, but would the i7 in my title be enough of a stopgap before a total wipe? I'm mostly playing stuff like doom '16/ eternal, kingdom come, just cause 3/4, that sort of thing. cheers!

Solution
the 4690 is a quad core cpu. the 4790 is the same cpu with hyperthreading.

you'll get a small boost if the game uses more than the 4 cores, but not a lot. i beieve it was around 10-15% depending on the game. it would not hurt but you won't see a big gain. i'd not do it unless that i7 was dirt cheap. otherwise you're throwing good money after bad.

as cheap as the ryzen chips are, putting $100+ into that old i7 would almost buy a new ryzen 5 now!! not worth it at all.

so if the cpu is free or like maybe $50, then not a bad idea. otherwise wait until you can get the full upgrade.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the 4690 is a quad core cpu. the 4790 is the same cpu with hyperthreading.

you'll get a small boost if the game uses more than the 4 cores, but not a lot. i beieve it was around 10-15% depending on the game. it would not hurt but you won't see a big gain. i'd not do it unless that i7 was dirt cheap. otherwise you're throwing good money after bad.

as cheap as the ryzen chips are, putting $100+ into that old i7 would almost buy a new ryzen 5 now!! not worth it at all.

so if the cpu is free or like maybe $50, then not a bad idea. otherwise wait until you can get the full upgrade.

Solution

cylindricpanda

Prominent
Apr 14, 2020
Yeah I kinda had the feeling that's how it would be, but I've seen 4790s on ebay for ~100$, so I figured that might be a little better than 1-200 for a new mobo then another 2-300 for a new CPU on top of that.