Apr 24, 2019
Hi folks, I currently have i5 4690 / 4x4 ram 16gb / H97m-e / ssd 120 / hdd and I have gtx ssc 970 I am going to update to 980ti reference, is it worth the change or does it not get noticed by the possible bottleneck?
Another question I plan to put 600w source certified is ok?

Solution
Hello!

Your CPU with GTX 980ti has less than 8% bottleneck so it's decent match to avoid FPS loss.
Is it worth upgrading? Somewhat yes, it offer +20% increase, FPS wise.
600w is the recommended power supply so it's just fine.

AshMetalRaf

Reputable
Sep 19, 2018
Hello!

Your CPU with GTX 980ti has less than 8% bottleneck so it's decent match to avoid FPS loss.

Reactions: fefolavelaz
Solution
Apr 24, 2019
Hello!

UThank you very much, it's good news to know that! From the bios I have all optimal performance in the options and power options disabled eh I have seen a superior processor performance in benchamrks, I currently use this: https://www.userbenchmark.com/ I don't know how good it is, the cpu I found 74.6% "very good" thanks for the prompt response! Greetings from Uruguay!

Apr 24, 2019
Glad i could be of assistance!

Make sure you up vote the answer so it marks the thread as Solved Question or leave it if you have further questions. :)

Salutations to you, too! Ash
Glad i could be of assistance!

Make sure you up vote the answer so it marks the thread as Solved Question or leave it if you have further questions. :)

Salutations to you, too! Ash
Hello again, I ended up buying the gtx 1070 ftw take advantage of the offer. It was a big performance change but in battlefield 1/5 is where the bottleneck is most noticeable, upgrading to an i7 4770 won't it do more?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

Where did you get that 8% number from? If it's from a bottleneck calculator, then ignore it, because it's terrible advice. Bottleneck calculator sites are worse than useless.

@fefolavelaz - whether or not the upgrade in GPU will be beneficial requires knowing a few things:
  • What is your monitor's resolution?
  • What is your monitor's refresh rate?
  • Does your monitor have FreeSync, GSync, or neither?
    • If FreeSync, what is the FreeSync range?
  • What games are you playing?
To use an extreme example - assuming a target of 60Hz/60fps, if you're playing a first person shooter, and running 1280x720p resolution, then there's no point in upgrading the GPU. But if you're running, say, more than 1920x1080p, then there's a benefit to upgrading.

EDIT: and I concur with @logainofhades , replace that PSU with a higher quality one.

Apr 24, 2019
Where did you get that 8% number from? If it's from a bottleneck calculator, then ignore it, because it's terrible advice. Bottleneck calculator sites are worse than useless.

@fefolavelaz - whether or not the upgrade in GPU will be beneficial requires knowing a few things:
To use an extreme example - assuming a target of 60Hz/60fps, if you're playing a first person shooter, and running 1280x720p resolution, then there's no point in upgrading the GPU. But if you're running, say, more than 1920x1080p, then there's a benefit to upgrading.

EDIT: and I concur with @logainofhades , replace that PSU with a higher quality one.
Hello thanks for the prompt response, I have this monitor: https://www.viewsonic.com/products/lcd/VA2407h.php I have noticed a great improvement in all games, previously I had a GTX 970 SSC, but I have seen that in btf 1 I have a bottleneck with drops of 35 / 45fps and it is annoying and in need for speed payback the same thing happens to me. I play: PUBG, ARK SURVIVAL, rocket LEAGUE, far cry NEW dawn, weapon 3, rust, among others. As for the source I will change it for a better one when I can.

Apr 24, 2019

Leaving fixed at 3.9 the cpu from the bios will help me with the bottleneck? Are there any tips? Or simply the 4 cores are falling short?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hello thanks for the prompt response, I have this monitor: https://www.viewsonic.com/products/lcd/VA2407h.php I have noticed a great improvement in all games, previously I had a GTX 970 SSC, but I have seen that in btf 1 I have a bottleneck with drops of 35 / 45fps and it is annoying and in need for speed payback the same thing happens to me. I play: PUBG, ARK SURVIVAL, rocket LEAGUE, far cry NEW dawn, weapon 3, rust, among others. As for the source I will change it for a better one when I can.

Ok, so, I can't speak to those particular games, so I'm hoping someone else can chime in as to whether they're more CPU dependent or GPU dependent.

That said, your monitor is 1920x1080, with a max refresh of 75Hz.

Are you trying to get max details in all games at 75fps? Are you content with medium to high details? Is 60fps good enough? etc.

As for the CPU - do not leave the CPU frequency fixed. There's no benefit to that. Let it adjust and boost itself automatically as needed. The CPU will only slow down when there's no load on it, or when there's too much heat.

Reactions: fefolavelaz