Jan 10, 2015
so i heard that many weak CPUs will get a boost on dx12 does that mean that more expensive cpus like mine or the skylake new ones wont get a boost? will that mean that even an i3 could get up to the same performance as an i7?

Solution

Not sure why you think that. DX12 should give benefits all round. Its just the current cheap 6 and 8 core cpus will see the most performance gain. But current Intel systems will still be better.

As for yet to come hardware, we will have to wait and see. Plus DX12 games are every thin on the ground right now. I think RotTR is about the only one I have.
DX12 is really a non issue for a while.
You need windows 10 and a game that supports DX12(only a few do)

The benefit is a faster multithreaded path through the graphics driver. But the driver is not the major part of the cpu need for a game.

So, yes, DX12 can help a bit if you have a many threaded processor with weak cores like the FX.
But, performance will be better with a processor with stronger single thread performance.

Long term, DX12 will let you combine disparate graphics cards. It remains to be seen how well that would work out.

Lee-m

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009

Not sure why you think that. DX12 should give benefits all round. Its just the current cheap 6 and 8 core cpus will see the most performance gain. But current Intel systems will still be better.

As for yet to come hardware, we will have to wait and see. Plus DX12 games are every thin on the ground right now. I think RotTR is about the only one I have.

Solution