I5 4690 overheat issue and fps drops while gaming

EnzoLF

Commendable
Jan 22, 2017
I got a non "k" Intel i5 4690 @ 3.85GHz (with turbo boost) that is overheating while gaming (100°C is not rare in games like Battlefield 3/4, Star Wars Battlefront..) My story with this issue started when I was looking for the cause of sudden fps drops in Battlefield 4, the drops were registered in peaks (for instance it used to run at ~100-135fps and droped to ~70-80fps and back to 100-135fps) these drops never lasted for more than 2 seconds. One importat thing to notice is that that's the fps range when the system was built, nowadays it runs at about 70-100fps. So i started looking for the cause of these 2 kinds of drops (the "peak drops" and this "overall fps drop"). Then I started monitoring clock and temps of the GPU and CPU. At this moment I realized that the processor was running at this temp. It runs with the stock Intel cooler ever since i built it (December of 2014) and my greatest fear is that it is losing its processing capabilities, due to this overheat in the long term, in a point that is no longer able to "run in the same speed as the GPU" - that would explain the fps drops experienced in games. The system has never shut down because of the heat, it seems to keep 100°C as a maximum value for the temperature so it never gets above it. What temperature should it be safely running during gaming?

My system:

GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC FTW @ 1164MHz Base clock ~ 70°C - 376.33
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8Gb (2 x 4Gb) @ 1600MHz
CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 @ 3.85Hz ~ 100°C when gaming (~ 50-57°C idle)
PSU: Corsair CX 600W
MBO: Gigabyte Z97X - UD3H BK Black Edition

I don't know if the overheat is either caused by some factory malfunction or if it's a long term issue that should have been fixed right after its assembly. Can this overheat really cause any damage to the CPU?

I still haven't found what is causing the fps drops in the games. Is it possible that the overheat is causing the them? Does anyone have an idea of what may be causing it?

PS.: I also don't know if replacing the intel stock cooler by another one will be enough to reduce dramatically the temperature to about 60-70 when in full load.

I don't know what to do...
Thanks in advance!
Have a nice day!

Solution

salerhino

Reputable
Mar 16, 2016

Yes, CPU can degrade in performance;
Safe temperatures are anything up to 80ish deg. C;
New cooler will help actualy, try replacing htermal paste also with that Intel stock cooler, it may help.
Also for even lower temps. try openning the case side.

2 YEARS, this issue has been there? 2 YEARS you have abused your PC which isn't even an adult yet. The 4690 is getting married to the 1070. It does not deserve this amount of neglect. For all the adventures that you have experienced with the 4690's help you do this as thanks? The laughter. The social media? The gaming sessions. Everything your pilot has done for you and you did not once perform any diagnostics? It could have been at or near 100C for 2 YEARS. Could cooking your CPU in 212F heat cause it to malfunction after a couple years? Hmmmmm. That could happen.

But I digress. The issue I have, apart from the apparent neglect, is where was the BIOS all this time. There is a point with the 4690 that it will throttle performance in favor of heat reduction. That's usually before it hits 90C. Forget thermal throttling, which it would seem has been happening, you should have experienced thermal shutdown.

Can you please play a

WHAT AM I DOING!!!!

Can you PLEASE go out and purchase a 212 Evo from Cooler Master? Please offer your case name and model to make sure it fits. You've already seen the temps. It's not time for me to suggest anything other then purchasing a new CPU cooler.

It's the one I use

System_Hardware.png

P.S.

Do not expect those temps. The ambient temp was low.

Solution

And let in dust and other debris? If the user wants to give the case more air he or she should purchase an additional fan. Unless there is zero airflow and no fans the side should be kept on to help decrease dust accumulation within the case. It also keep front to back airflow in check.

We all have opinions. Mine only differs from yours.

Your least expensive option is a reapplication of thermal paste after you clean off the old paste. Arctic Silver 5 is a good thermal compound. https://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Silver-Thermal-Compound-ArctiClean/dp/B002DILLMS is what I recommend. Some use rubbing alcohol to clean off the base of the heatsink and the lid of the CPU. I prefer using a cleaner designed for the job. Canned air can be used to clean out dust from between the fins and other areas inside your PC case.