[SOLVED] I5-4690 + RX 580

Dec 11, 2019
I'm about to buy a RX 580 8gb but I'm considering the RX 590 too, anyway, i'm worried about a bottleneck situation with my current I5- 4690 CPU, What do you guys think? thanks!

Solution
Depends on the game and the resolution. However yes in some games your cpu will be a limiting factor. Both the 580 & 590 can achieve higher than 60fps @ 1080p in any game with careful selection of game settings. However the 4690 will struggle to average 60fps in some cpu heavy games.
Depends on the game and the resolution. However yes in some games your cpu will be a limiting factor. Both the 580 & 590 can achieve higher than 60fps @ 1080p in any game with careful selection of game settings. However the 4690 will struggle to average 60fps in some cpu heavy games.

Reactions: JojoStar
Solution
Dec 11, 2019

Thanks for the response. In case the cpu struggle to any given game, could I just lower the graphic settings to avoid any problems?, also any CPU that you could recommend me to buy?

As the happy owner of an i5 4590 and an RX 470, I can solidly say you shouldn't have any problems. It should make for a reasonably balanced system. In some games the CPU will hold the GPU back a little, and in other it will be the other way around. In general you'll have a good experience. Either the RX 580 or 590 should be fine, but I'd suggest going with the RX 580 to save a bit of money. The RX 590 isn't that much faster.

Dec 11, 2019
As the happy owner of an i5 4590 and an RX 470, I can solidly say you shouldn't have any problems. It should make for a reasonably balanced system. In some games the CPU will hold the GPU back a little, and in other it will be the other way around. In general you'll have a good experience. Either the RX 580 or 590 should be fine, but I'd suggest going with the RX 580 to save a bit of money. The RX 590 isn't that much faster.

I don't see any issues. Depends on what you want. I always go for more GPU than I need. I like lots of eye candy, and I'm not enough of a competitive gamer to worry about bottleneck. I'm even using a RX 590 with my ancient and slow FX 8350. :rolleyes:

Honestly I've playing with my integrated graphic card for over a year so if I ever get a problem with bottlenecking I would not even care :D thanks for the responses!

As someone who has just upgraded from a 4670k running at 4.3GHz I can say I had found several games that were not enjoyable due to FPS issues caused by the cpu being pegged at 100%. As I said it does depend on the game.

Thanks for the response. In case the cpu struggle to any given game, could I just lower the graphic settings to avoid any problems?, also any CPU that you could recommend me to buy?
Unfortunately game settings have little impact on cpu usage, some but not much. Most of the extra work of running higher settings is on the gpu.
As for what cpu that will depend on budget. To move to any modern cpu will require a new motherboard and RAM. The only options with your current setup are an i7 but the gains are not great and chances are you will soon find yourself wanting to upgrade again.

Dec 11, 2019
Unfortunately game settings have little impact on cpu usage, some but not much. Most of the extra work of running higher settings is on the gpu.
As for what cpu that will depend on budget. To move to any modern cpu will require a new motherboard and RAM. The only options with your current setup are an i7 but the gains are not great and chances are you will soon find yourself wanting to upgrade again.

Thanks. My actual motherboard is a gygabite b85-hd3; any decent and not too expensive motherboard that you may suggest me to buy alongside a Ryzen 5 2600 CPU ?