[SOLVED] i5 4690 temps

Jul 6, 2020
I’ve looked everywhere and I can’t find an answer. What is the max temp for this cpu? I’ve seen 72c in places, but is it really that low. If so, I’ve been running it pretty close to that under load with the stock cooler and at idle I’m getting anywhere between 43-51c.

is this an ok temp or should I be worred. At load it creeps near 69-70c.

Solution
Enenene,

On behalf of Tom's Moderator Team, welcome aboard!

The temperature value of 72°C that you've seen is indeed Tcase. However, Intel desktop processors have not just one, but two thermal specifications; "Tcase" and "Tjunction". For your 4th generation i5-4690, Tjunction is 100°C, but it does not mean it's OK to run it that hot.

As Quanticriver suggested, here's the nominal operating range for Core temperature:

Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended.

Core temperatures below 80°C are ideal...​
Hello and welcome to the forums

I have an I5 4690K running in one of my systems, I have not overclocked it and the temperatures you are describing are similar to mine

Your temps at load are perfectly fine
It should be able to endure temps well into the 80° area
And even then it will just throtthle down performance in order to reduce heat

Concerning the 72° I suspect that is the "Tcase" temp, meaning that the air surrounding the cpu
(in your pccase) cannot exceed 72° for it to function properly

But on the actual CPU itself (the die) it can tolerate much higher temps

i think max temp will be somewhere between 90 and 100° but as said your cpu will have throttle'd itself by that time

You could always get an aftermarket cooler

Reactions: Enenene
Jul 6, 2020
Hello and welcome to the forums

I have an I5 4690K running in one of my systems, I have not overclocked it and the temperatures you are describing are similar to mine

Your temps at load are perfectly fine
It should be able to endure temps well into the 80° area
And even then it will just throtthle down performance in order to reduce heat

Concerning the 72° I suspect that is the "Tcase" temp, meaning that the air surrounding the cpu
(in your pccase) cannot exceed 72° for it to function properly

But on the actual CPU itself (the die) it can tolerate much higher temps

i think max temp will be somewhere between 90 and 100° but as said your cpu will have throttle'd itself by that time

You could always get an aftermarket cooler

Thanks! Yeah I think the 72 was referring to Tcase, and not the max temp of the die. Good to know I wasn’t getting dangerously close to cooking it after all!

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Enenene,

On behalf of Tom's Moderator Team, welcome aboard!

The temperature value of 72°C that you've seen is indeed Tcase. However, Intel desktop processors have not just one, but two thermal specifications; "Tcase" and "Tjunction". For your 4th generation i5-4690, Tjunction is 100°C, but it does not mean it's OK to run it that hot.

As Quanticriver suggested, here's the nominal operating range for Core temperature:

Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended.

Core temperatures below 80°C are ideal.

PdancCI.jpg

Intel's Datasheets (which most users never read) are detailed technical documents that show both Tcase and Tjunction specifications (see pages 66 & 73). Intel's Product Specifications website (which some users have seen) is instead a quick reference that shows only "Tcase" for 6th generation and earlier processors, or "Tjunction" for 7th generation and later, but not both. The processor's generation determines which of the two thermal specifications is shown on the Product Specifications website.

In the Datasheets "Tjunction" (Temperature Junction) is actually "Tj Max" (Temperature Junction Maximum), which is also called "Throttle" temperature, and is shown on monitoring utilities such as "Core Temp". Likewise, in the Datasheets "Tcase" (Temperature Case) is actually "Tcase Max" (Temperature Case Maximum), which is also called "IHS" (Integrated Heat Spreader) temperature.

Since the Tcase specification pertains to CPU coolers, Intel's intended purpose for providing this specification was primarily for developers of aftermarket cooling solutions. Unfortunately, a great deal of widespread misinterpretations among users could've been avoided if Intel had limited Tcase to internal use and those with non-disclosure agreements, and had instead used the Tj Max specification on their Product Specifications website for all their processors.

Moreover, since the cooler on laptop (mobile) processors is seated directly on the silicon "Die" which contains the Cores, they don't have an IHS, so they don't have a Tcase specification; only Tj Max. Regardless, unlike the Product Specifications website, the Datasheets use proper terminology. Referring to the Datasheets instead of the Product Specifications website eliminates the confusion surrounding Intel's specifications:

As per the Datasheets, and for the record:

Tcase Max is a specification for CPU coolers
Tcase is IHS temperature

Tj Max is a specification for Throttle protection
Tjunction is Core temperature

Tcase is a very misleading specification, and has been confusing users since 2006, as evidenced by Quanticriver's well intentioned misinterpretation of Tcase, which is completely unrelated to your "PC case" or "chassis". For the benefit of other Forum Members and our visiting readers:

Tcase is not Core temperature

Users can't measure Tcase because it's a factory only thermal measurement performed on engineering samples using a thermocouple sensor embedded in the external surface of the Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS), which is the CPU's protective metal "case" whereupon the cooler is seated. Retail processors do not have this sensor, so it's not possible for you to monitor IHS temperature.

Core temperatures are instead measured by individual Digital Thermal Sensors (DTS) located deep within each Core at the transistor "Junctions" which are the heat sources where temperatures are highest. This means IHS temperature (Tcase) is significantly lower than Core temperature (Tjunction).

As such, Tj Max (Throttle temperature) is your thermal limit; not Tcase. For end users, this means Tcase is irrelevant.

Also, keep in mind that Core temperatures increase and decrease with ambient (room) temperature, for which "normal" is 22°C or 72°F and is the International Standard.

At the top of our Forums you'll see "STICKY THREADS" which are valuable information resources that are permanently "stuck" in place so they're always available for everyone's benefit.

If you look at the top of the CPUs Forum where you posted your thread, you'll see a Sticky that has all the information you need: Intel Temperature Guide - you might want to give it a read.

Once again, welcome aboard!

CT :sol:

Reactions: John Chesterfield
Solution