[SOLVED] I5 4690

peterjohnw

Prominent
Feb 22, 2022
I have replaced an I3 4130 with an I5 4690 in my PC . The bios correctly identifies the CPU, device manager states 4 cores @ 3500 but msconfig only gives me the option to enable 2 cores.
Would reinstalling windows solve the problem?

Solution
@peterjohnw
You need to clear the Number of processors box in msconfig and then you need to reboot so Windows can find all of your cores and threads. The Number of processors box should never be checked unless you want less than the maximum number of cores and threads. This setting seems to screw up a lot of people, especially after they upgrade their CPU.

When set correctly, the Task Manager and CPU-Z will report
Cores: 4
Logical processors: 4

TcsWqAq.png
@peterjohnw
You need to clear the Number of processors box in msconfig and then you need to reboot so Windows can find all of your cores and threads. The Number of processors box should never be checked unless you want less than the maximum number of cores and threads. This setting seems to screw up a lot of people, especially after they upgrade their CPU.

When set correctly, the Task Manager and CPU-Z will report
Cores: 4
Logical processors: 4

TcsWqAq.png

Reactions: USAFRet
Solution

peterjohnw

Prominent
Feb 22, 2022
Thanks for the heads up!
I've finally unlocked all 4 cores I could not understand why it was stuck on the I3 2 core setting.
As you say it is completely counter intuitive the only other advice I got on this problem was a fresh install of windows which I suppose would have worked but would have been a real pain.