[SOLVED] i5-4690k @ 3.50ghz bottlenecked?

iamXelm

Commendable
Apr 10, 2016
so i recently switched from an AMD R7 250X 1GB to an Asrock RX 580 8GB OC..
and i'm getting huge frame drops in basically every single game..goes from 300 fps to 20.
randomly fluctuating

my build:
windows 10 pro - 64bit
monitor :AOC 2267W - 60hz [ trash monitor ]
mobo: asrock h81m-hds
gpu: Asrock RX 580 8gb OC
cpu: i5-4690k @ 3.50ghz
psu: Corsair cx650m
ram: 8gb

ive spent about a week trying to stabilize my pc.. from reformatting. reinstalling windows. upgrading bios.
idk what to do.
is my i5 being bottle-necked by my gpu?
or do i need new ram?

my friends dad said i should return my GPU and get a replacement because he thinks its defective despite me buying it brand new from newegg less than a week ago.
which it may be defective idk.

if anybody has any suggestions or knows how to solve the problem please.. don't hesitate.
im stuck.

Solution
so i found the problem....
disabling "C Support" and other CPU settings in the bios fixed my issue.
essentially what i think was happening is that the "C support" was throttling my CPU and unable to give maximum performance to my GPU.

So if anyone else has this problem & is reading this
go into your bios into the CPU section and disable C support.

MART3R

Honorable
Sep 26, 2016
Install HWMonitor and monitor your temperatures during gaming:
https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

-Make sure youre using the proper divers for your specific hardware, you said you reinstalled windows but not that you did the drivers.
-Go into Power Settings in your control panel and set your PC to High Performance
-Make sure your monitor is plugged into the GPU and not the Mobo

Please reply to this message with the maximum temperature you reach during gaming and the games you are trying to play.
Your hardware is good enough not to bottleneck each other, next step is just to make sure theyre working properly

iamXelm

Commendable
Apr 10, 2016
ok will do.
yes my monitor is plugged into my GPU.. lol
and yes i tried downgrading drivers 2 or 3 different times.. each with an older driver. didnt change anything.
My pc is already set to high performance option.

i will install HWMONITOR and report back asap.
gotta reinstall gpu and drivers.
do you want me to take a picture and post it? or... ive never used HWMONITOR before so im not exactly sure how to use it.

also the games im trying to play are.

csgo
fortnite
ring of elysium
skyrim

First thing I would do is revert your CPU back to stock speeds. This will eliminate any OC stability issues. Sometimes when you introduce new components and have an OC if those new components put larger demands on power they can impact your stability of an overclock. If you still have issues with the CPU at stock I would return the GPU.

iamXelm

Commendable
Apr 10, 2016
im going to take pictures of my bios in the GPU settings and show you all what my options are.
hopefully i can post imgur links. brb

]https://imgur.com/a/BimdDCR

iamXelm

Commendable
Apr 10, 2016
so i found the problem....
disabling "C Support" and other CPU settings in the bios fixed my issue.
essentially what i think was happening is that the "C support" was throttling my CPU and unable to give maximum performance to my GPU.

So if anyone else has this problem & is reading this
go into your bios into the CPU section and disable C support.

Solution